This Disappears When Logged In

Help with My New Rosy Boa

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by hemlocklily, Sep 30, 2014.

1. hemlocklily

hemlocklily Member

Hi there,

I am a first-time snake parent, I just got a male Mexican rosy boa who is approximately 2 - 3 years old (I purchased him about two months ago from a breeder at a reptile expo). Something is concerning me and I am wondering if it's normal.

First off, I was warned that he is known for going off his food for up to 6 months at a time. I got him to eat half an adult mouse about a month ago (I was told to cut them in half as the full-sized adults I had already bought are on the larger side). He eats frozen/thawed only, and always has apparently.

My concern is about his waste. I tried to give him another half-mouse a week after he ate the first half; I put him in his feeding tub and he was antsy, "pacing" around the tub...he didn't eat, but he did poop while he was in there. No big deal, except my friend who breeds other kinds of snakes, thought it looked a bit runny.

Shortly after this he went into shed, so it ended up being three weeks before I tried to feed him again. I didn't handle him at ALL during this time. I was very careful not to stress him, he's in a quiet place with no one bugging him.

He had a successful shed, and a couple days after that I tried feeding. Unfortunately the poor fellow had his dinner rudely interrupted because there was a fire in our building, and I had to rush him (in his tub) to a safe place. When I got him back home and safe, I opened his tub to see him pooping...again. I didn't think he'd have anything left to get rid of since he's only eaten half a mouse in the past two and a half months, and already went once. It was a bit runny, like the last time. I saw him in the process of going, so I know for certain it wasn't regurgitation (and it was fairly obvious, by the urates etc.).

Does this sound normal to you guys? Should I be worried about him being sick, or was he likely just stressed by either being in the feeding tub, or the whole hullabaloo of activity during the fire?

He's a very docile, inactive boy, but his prev. owners said that's just his temperament...and I don't know what is normal as I've never had a snake before (and I've never seen this problem mentioned in the literature I've read). Sorry if these are dumb or super obvious questions! I'd rather sound like a moron and get the best info to help him, than avoid asking and have him feeling miserable. Thanks for any help you can offer me.

Oh, and here are the responses to the questions they say you need to answer for any post, just in case it helps:

· How long have you owned the animal? Just over 2 months
    · What is the enclosure size? 20-gallon
    · What type of substrate are you using (shavings, bark, paper towel, etc.)? Aspen shavings with a few oak leaves (unsprayed, purchased from a reptile/amphibian supply company), and of course his hides/decorations which are also designed for reptile use.
    · What type of lighting are you using and at what distance(s) are they from the animal? No lighting (other than the incandescent bulbs that light the whole room)
    · What are the temperatures within the enclosure and how are they being measured? Digital thermometers...cold side is around 75, hot side is around 90 (he barely ever goes to the warm side...I use an under-tank heating pad designed for reptiles).
    · What is the humidity within the enclosure and how is it being measured? Hygrometer (non-digital, just an exo terra one)...it's been consistently reading 60 (if I put a water dish in, it spikes to 70 so I generally keep it out). Keep in mind that it's also reading the air OUTSIDE the tank as 60...which makes me wonder if my hygrometer is working properly...still trying to sort this out. I can't fathom that my ambient air with windows open, is the same humidity as it is inside a closed tank...
    · What are you feeding (or attempting to feed) the animal? Thawed adult mice (which I cut in half) purchased pre-killed and frozen from a reptile food supplier.
    · What exactly are you concerned about? See issue described above. Too much pooping, maybe?

2. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

It sounds... Normal to me. If it's a bit runny then there could be an issue. I'm not exactly sure on that part but I can answer the easiest question you asked lol.
    All snakes have different personalities. Ball pythons are most common for being very docile and very inactive. All they seem to do is "plop," if you know what I mean. They sit there.. and that's about it LOL. Unless you have a ball that's very active. Which from what I know, seems a bit rare. I'm a first time snake momma as well, and have owned my Cali King for about 7 months now. Very active through day and night, can be a bit nippy sometimes, but also pretty docile with a shy side to him.
    As I said, with the docile inactive part, it's very common for balls. Now if your snake was active and became inactive during this "pooping" phase, there could be an issue. I'm not 100% sure and I hope someone can answer that for ya.

3. hemlocklily

hemlocklily Member

Thanks Twixxy,

Actually Nibs is a rosy boa, not a ball (did I post in the right section?) But he's been super docile as long as I've had him...he has his own special blanket and he snuggles up on my lap...he would sit there all day I'm sure. In his enclosure he rarely leaves his hide...I just expected him to be more adventurous. I'm probably over-analyzing, you know how it is when you are new to having a certain kind of pet and you don't really know what their normal is yet.

But hopefully you're right. I just couldn't believe he ate only half a mouse in two months and still managed to poop twice. Don't get me wrong, when that fire alarm went off, we all just about did lol.

4. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

I'm a complete derp, I'm sorry. Well, it applies to both. both balls & boas have just about the same temperament and are very docile. Did a little research, and since the weather is getting a bit cooler, Rosy boas tend to become a lot more inative. During the spring, fall, and summer, they become more active. They like to hide and really aren't that adventurous and want the explore new things. Out in the wild, they spend almost their entire lives under rocks and hiding so they don't become a meal. Another example, my snake loves, LOVES, to explore new things and that's why he's so active. that's just how Cali Kings are. Your snake laying on your lap is an amazing thing, and I wish mine would do that, but since he's an explorer, he's constantly moving and never sits still lol. & don't worry, I was the same as you when I first got him. One little thing that seemed off would make me panic and I'd be spamming forums asking everyone. Just keep an eye out, making sure there's no major weight loss or signs of sickness and such. Just pay close attention to the pooping and see if anything else changes. I'm also going to assume that the fire could of made things more stressful for him, making him even more inactive. If he's in your lap and seems relaxed and fine, then there should be no worries. I'm still hoping someone else can give you a better answer, but i'm almost certain that your BOA is going to be okay.

5. hemlocklily

hemlocklily Member

lol He seems pretty spry tonight, he was cruising around (I turned the lights dim and he seems to like that much better than my glaring energy-saver bulbs). But he came to me for cuddles and is now camped out in a neat little coil on my knee. Hopefully all is well. Thanks!! I do indeed love my lap snake lol.

6. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

That's good to hear! Keep us updated in case anything else seems to change. Would be nice to get a picture too! I'm still jealous that you have a lap snake <.< xD

7. hemlocklily

hemlocklily Member

lol Here's my lap snake, we were watching a movie and cuddling in his special, Nibs-only blanket (used to be my blanket lol but he's decided it belongs to him now). His colours are a little dull here, he brightened up quite a bit after his shed.

nib1.jpg

nib2.jpg

nib3.jpg

8. Twixxy

Twixxy Active Member

Awwwhh! How cuuuuuuute! Very pretty. Arrgg, making me more jealous. I love my active lil boy but sometimes I wish he would just sit still for two seconds so I could take a picture holding him lol.

9. hemlocklily

hemlocklily Member

lol Nibs has two speeds. Slow, and stopped.