This Disappears When Logged In

Help With My Fire Skink Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by Tiffers4593, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Tiffers4593

Tiffers4593 New Member

I cant figure out what is happening..she is about 8 months old.. When i first got her she was pretty small so i had her in a 10 gal tank.. She started to outgrow so i got her a new 40B tank. When i put her in the tank she seemed very comfortable and was just adjusting to her surroundings. Today i put 2 new hides in the tank fairly larger than shes used to but she started running back and forth and climbing on them.. She wouldnt bury herself and she seemed like she just wanted out of the tank.. Im not sure if she is overly excited and just exploring or if the new hides are causing to much stress? Either way i took them out it seemed like they were causing her to much stress and i got nervous! Is this to much change for her to soon? Or does she need smaller hides? She usually eats 2 to 4 crickets and 3 to 4 super worms we dust her worms in calcium dust once a week. But today she only ate 2 worms. She could possibly be starting a shed as well. There are so many factors to this and i need help narrowing it down!

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Please send pics of her and the enclosure. Anytime you change the surroundings there is going to be a period of stress/exploring/curiosity. As long as the husbandry is right, you shouldn't worry. Put the hides in and give her a couple days to adjust, don't move them around just keep them in the same spot so she trusts them for security. If she is active and exploring that is a good sign.

3. Tiffers4593

Tiffers4593 New Member

I will post these when i get home from work for you! Do you think taking them out was a bad idea? Or should i maybe do one at a time?

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Probably should have left them in. But it isn't that big of a deal. Just put both of them in at the same time and in a couple days the skink will trust them not to fly away up into the sky again. ;)

Tiffers4593 likes this.
  5. Tiffers4593

Tiffers4593 New Member

Lol thank you! Ill post pictures once i get them back in today!

6. Tiffers4593

Tiffers4593 New Member

Here are some pictures of her and her enclosure! Im new to fire skinks so any constructive criticism is welcome! I just want her to be happy and healthy i know i need one more thermometer in there atleast i would like another in there so i can monitor both sides.

Attached Files: