This Disappears When Logged In

Help With Mountain Horned Lizard / Dragon

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by roxypepperch, Sep 30, 2017.

1. roxypepperch

roxypepperch New Member

I have been keeping reptiles for several years but I haven't ever gotten anything that was wild caught before. This was an impulse purchase. (bad I know) I don't want to buy anything wild caught but I have always had animals that were generally captive bred and so I didn't even think to ask about it when I bought him(or her). I looked up what type of setup they needed while I was in the store. When I got him home and he got into his new enclosure he was ok. He let me touch him and then later he ate. Today though, I can see he is very uncomfortable. He doesn't move at all. I read that was a stress sign. He doesn't hide. I have a large reptibreeze with rocks on the bottom and then tall branch up with a twisted branch with leaves going across and leaves for cover. I put cardboard around 3 sides to keep him more secure and to make sure that the water doesn't escape as much when I mist. He has a mercury vapor bulb so he gets his uvb and some heat but not too much. I have a little dripper for him and mist often. If I had known he was wild caught I wouldn't have bought him. I feel really bad about the whole thing because basically a wild animal is now caged up in my house but if I took him back they would just sell him off to someone else who probably cares less than I do. Please let me know if you have any insights into how to help him adapt to being in captivity. After being around him for about 24 hours I feel like he hasn't been in captivity for very long and I want to make sure I do whatever I can to make him comfortable as possible.
    Thanks

2. Cherux02

Cherux02 Member

Hey there. Hopefully someone experienced with that animal will be here shortly. Lethargy could be related to temperature. First thing theyll ask is exact parameters. Could you add details about the temperature of the enclosure and basking site temperature? Humidity too. And how you are measuring those. Whether it's wild caught or not, a habitat that supports health will be the most important.