This Disappears When Logged In

Help With King Snake ID Please

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by WillisWildlifeEnterprises, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was given this king snake and am having a little trouble getting a positive identification as to his species. I've had guesses ranging from an albino eastern king to an albino Florida X California king cross. Any other guesses? His coloration is very accurate in the photos and he's about 1200 grams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

no idea but that's a gorgeous snake! =D

3. Ollie

Ollie Elite Member

Looks like an albino kingsnake. i hope you caught it and want to give it to me

4. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

nvm i think its an albino cali king

5. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

freakin gorgeous snake!
    you're lucky to have gotten it.

6. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Me too. That would be my best bet anyway.

7. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

i say albino cal king mmmm. I can see why you are a little thrown off tho...interesting head. strange snake...that cali hybrid also gets thrown around in my head wow also just noticed this site is getting taken over by florida!!! haha

looks like it is in the blue tho

8. No, I really don't think he is an albino California king as the color and pattern is completely different than my known albino California king female...
    [​IMG]

9. redtailnamedjade

redtailnamedjade Elite Member

10. 904cresteds

904cresteds Elite Member

pooopy!..pffft im not a kingsnake expertz like you guys :p not a truley bad guess..atleast i didnt say scarlet king snake or something :p

11. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

you must remember tho that their patterning is very variable. is very eastern patterned but i still think cal king. it sucks that the subspecies don't exibit clear defined scale counts...blah!

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Devon is right. Color and pattern aren't going to be exact matches in all species. It has pinkish scales with yellow-white stripes, and pink eyes....so I'd say it's albino. And the stripes may not be as clearly defined as your other snake, but they're still there. I'm no kingsnake expert, so I couldn't tell you what it is, but I can tell you that just because it doesn't look just like your other albino Cali king doesn't mean it's not one ;)

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Elite Member

actually (correct me if im wrong) if you look back, he was posting the first two pictures of the snake in question, then the thrid picture is his snake that is already identified for an example. And i noticed that the snake in question does not have the pink eyes. So i was looking at a few different breeds and i honestly think it could be a Blue-Eyed Blond California Kingsnake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though the patterns are off, but as stated before they aren't always the same.. I definantly agree with you though that it isnt an albino. Hope this helps..

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It's not a true albino in that it doesn't have pink eyes.
    However I am going to agree with california kingsnake. but its one of the morphs.
    The patterning, even on wild kingsnakes is very variable depending on the area in which they were caught.

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I think that's a real possibility actually. I'm still not 100% sure that's it, but it does bear a resemblance to one. It looks a little pink for what a blue-eyed blonde should, or at least compared to the washed out brown that's in the example you posted. But if you look around the head it has darker areas near the yellow. I don't think an albino would have that. The eyes also look red to me. Kind of a deep red that's almost black in the absence of light. But maybe they're not as red as they seem. And then again, the eyes of the blue-eyed blonde from that website look red too, especially in the photo you didn't post:
    Split Rock Reptiles

16. Benn-bmx

Benn-bmx Banned User

That is definitely a albino California king.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.