This Disappears When Logged In

Help with Heating.

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Renouji, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

So Thor was moved from his quarantine tank to his full tank finally today. During my tests of his environment the substrate on the hot side was barely hitting 92° – 94°, and wouldn't you know it the minute I turn on his light it burnt out, so I rushed to Home Depot and bought a 120 watt halogen heat bulb thinking it should tie him over till the pet store opened in the morning. Boy was I off, his substrate hit 96° before I knew it, so I attached one of my dimmers and set it to half way which set his substrate at 91°. What size halogen should I be using in his tank so I can have a good heat gradient and lighting in there? As it stands now the light is poor being set to half power, plus it emits a high pitched humming that I can hear at this setting. His tank is 48"x24"x24" and I'm measuring temps digitally.

Thanks in advance
    Ren

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I use par 38 halogens (5.50) on some and 250 watt infrared (6.00 for 2 and on dimmer if need be) on others.

3. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Ok what's par 38 halogens? Would they bring his temp above 94 if the room has an ambient tempurature of 75 ?