This Disappears When Logged In

Help with Heating for Starter Tank for Baby Snake

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by isusdfr, Aug 24, 2014.

1. isusdfr

isusdfr New Member

My son went out on the weekend and purchased one of those starter tanks for baby snakes, he has set it up and wants to test it for a number of weeks to make sure everything is working ok before getting a baby spotted python.
    It is one of the small plastic tanks about 40x15 cm. it came with a small heatpad which only covers, at most, half of the bottom of the tank. After two days of running it and testing with a thermometer it is about 35 degrees at the warm end but only about 20 degrees at the other, far too low.

I am wondering what the best idea for heating for this small tank. Once it gets larger my son is going to buy a wooden and glass enclosure which come with two lights and a thermostat. But am wondering what we should be using atm for the smaller tank. Should we get a larger heat pad for the starter tank or a light?

after peoples recommendations

thanks

David

2. kittirain

kittirain Member

Get a heat lamp. Put it on the same end as the heat mat... That way the critter can regulate it's own temperature by moving from the warm end to the cooler end.

The lamp will help the cooler end warm up enough to be within recommended temperatures, without making the cooler end too warm... If you get a larger mat, it could just stress the critter out as it wouldn't be able to move away when it's too warm

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you put up a photo of the enclosure? How are you measuring the temperatures, Type of device and location.
    Most of the starter kits are full of substandard junk.