This Disappears When Logged In

Help with a Complete Overhaul!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by mikeyp03, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Good to know Merlin, maybe I'll cut back one vent on each of the snake sections.

I do like the guard writeup, but I think I'd rather buy one. The problem is that I cant find them anywhere in the US!!
    It seems like they are only for sale in the UK:confused:

Any ideas where I can find them?

I'm also planning on running 100W ceramic bulbs in each of the snake enclosures, and also tube lights for daylight, and JDandLucy's custom humidifier setup. Any issues with any of this combined that I should know about before I begin cutting all of the lighting, and heating in?

2. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

Go with larger CHE. run them with a thermostat or dimmer receptacle. I would hate for them to not be big enough to heat the enclosure. With your tube lighting, just make sure your fixture is outdoor rated or for aquarium use. On your spray bar set up, make sure you have a slope in the pipe with a hole larger than 1/4 inch for condensation drain off, place the water dish below this hole.

3. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Ok so I'm going to use 150W bulbs on a thermostat, and the humidifier is going onto a humidistat.
    I'll make sure to put some pitch and the drain on the spray bar too.
    As far as the lights.....I bought these....
    Lights of America 24" Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture: Decor : Walmart.com
    What do you think?

4. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

So I have some updates!
    I ran all the pvc for the enclosures, and came to the decision last night that I'm going to go with a misting system from MistKing.
    My fiance wanted to contribute to the enclosure so she offered to buy the setup:">

I spent the morning taking out the pvc, and working on the wiring. I also built in the bedding dam's for the front of each enclosures.

The whole thing is completely sanded, and ready to paint. I just cant decide which color to paint it.
    I probably would have just stained it, but stain wont cover the wood filler so....paint it is.
    I'm thinking a satin black right now though.

The only thing left really is the doors. I've since dropped the idea of sliding doors.....track is way to expensive.
    I think I'm going to do double hinged doors on the large enclosures. The small tank on the right will have a solid peice of glass in the front and on the right side will have a single drop down hinged door. Above that on the right will house the MistKing pump.

I have a strip light in the front of each big tank and 2 ceramic light fixtures....1 for ceramic heat bulbs....and the other TBD lol
    I also cut in 2 2" vents in each tank, but I'll tape off one in each and see how it goes....If I need to I'll untape them, but this way the cutting is already done.

The box on the left is the base.

What do you all think!? Any input/recommendations will help!

5. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

6. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

So once again I've changed some things lol.
    I've taken out the secondary ceramic light fixtures. I see no point in having them with the strip light and ceramic heat bulb going in.
    I also pulled the remaining ceramic light fixtures and dropped them in from above so they won't be exposed in the enclosures. I think it will look a little cleaner like this.

The mist king pump will be here on Thursday and I've already drilled the holes to run the tubing and mount the nozzles.

I'm actually going back to sliding plexiglass doors, but they'll be the last thing I do. I feel dumb and didn't even think of using c channel for the track haha. They'll be mounted above the bedding dam so no worries about bedding get in the way.

Tomorrow ill start painting it black so I should have some pics then!

7. OEW

OEW Elite Member

This is an interesting build, can't wait to see it finished!

8. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

I cant wait either OEW lol.

Well I now have everything needed to finish, except for the 2 150w ceramic heat emitters, and the t-stat/humidistat.

Just finished up my first coat of paint on it. I'll do 1 more coat of paint and then 2 coats of polycrylix insde each enclosure, and then silicone the edges inside.

IMG_0216.jpg

9. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Looks great!

10. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Thanks! and WOW I hate painting:p

11. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Hehe...yea its a lot of work

12. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I'm not sure where to locate it, but they have plastic sliding tracks that can be purchased for around 20$. The aluminum track with the rollers is quite a bit more pricey. I had a difficult time trying to find any C channel to use for a track that wasn't to large.

I was looking at the light you are using and I would go a different direction. You can get a 6500K daylight bulb probably for cheaper as it won't be designated for growing plants and place it in a generic fixture. This will give a lighting much closer to the sun and that grow bulb is probably specific to red and blue light waves(which plants need).
    Looks Good!

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

and the grow bulbs generate alot of heat. It is what my cwd is currently using as his basking spot and it keeps a reading of 94 on the surface of his rock.

14. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Thanks, and yea I ended up getting 1/2 inch wide aluminum c channel today. I'm going to have the plexiglass cut to size with 1/4in thick plexiglass so they'll overlap in the middle.

Yea I didn't mean to actually use the bulb itself, just the fixture. But when I went to get the lights they only had the blacklight version, so that's what I ended up getting. So I forgot, but I still need to get the correct UVB 24" bulbs for the lights. In the last pic you can see the fixture hanging out of the lower section on the ground lol.

Thanks for the suggestion though, if I had gotten the grow lights I would have used them until they died without realizing they weren't good for the snakes.

As of right now I'm not planning on any lights or heat in the tarantula enclosure. Any thoughts on this?

15. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Any issues with these fixtures inside the tanks with humidity?

16. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Snakes don't need UVB so I would save your money and just get normal florescent bulbs.

I think your tarantula will be fine with the residual heat from the other enclosures. I could be wrong, but that is something you would definitely need to check.

I also think the fixture should be fine in the enclosure. Do you have any kind of a lens or guard to keep the snakes from getting to the bulb? Not so sure about them getting burnt from it, but I'd be concerned they flex and break the bulb,

17. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Good to know about the bulbs, I'm glad though, because I've never used them before:p

From everything I've read the rose hairs are fine in regular room temperatures and humidity. So I'm guessing he'll be fine with a little extra warmth crossing into his enclosure. I'll probably continue to lightly mist his tank by hand every few days.

I don't have a lense cover or guard for the strip lights, they'll be tucked up against the front and top corner, so I guess I'll have to keep an eye on them.

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I havent had any but the bulbs doesnt get any direct moisture on it. It is 4ft from the pond and there is a shelf between it and the humidifier. However the amdient humidity is always between 60-80% and when the humidifier is on it will fog up everything and the bulb hasnt had any damage or explosions.

19. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Good to know Thala, thanks! I was kinda worried about the bulbs in the humidity, now I don't need to:p

A little progress from last night and today when I got out of work!
    I did the ceramic heat emitter guards last night, and did my first coat of polycrylix today. I should be able to do the 2nd coat tonight.

Tomorrow hopefully I'll silicone the seams, and hopefully be able to install the doors.

IMG_0220.jpg IMG_0224.jpg IMG_0222.jpg IMG_0223.jpg

20. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

So I just finished with the silicone. :-&

I'm no where near ready, but how long does everyone wait to put animals into an enclosure after its made.(paint, sealant, silicone...fumes)

I figured about a week....?