This Disappears When Logged In

Help with a Complete Overhaul!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by mikeyp03, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

Yes the CHE last a while. I was going thru a bulb a month

2. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Haha Yea I was kinda thinking to frame everything out behind the plywood, below and above the tarantula section so it would be easy to add more of the small enclosures later on.....
    But I do like the 1X1X1 enclosure with a hide behind it......:D

So it looks like I'll go with the ceramic bulbs thanks JD

3. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

So I have an update.
    Bought just about everything I think I need today, and started working on it.
    Finished the frame, no pics yet though. I'm too tired to take any tonight either.

Thanks a lot Thala and JD. Your ideas were the inspiration!

Also, JD I'm using your humidifier setup as well!

I'm sure I'll have some questions soon:">

4. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

Thank you for the shout out. When I post information on this website it no longer becomes mine, it becomes the idea of everyone. 1 suggestion would be not to use the spray bar setup, yes it. works great but my snake continually wrap some self around that. Please if you have any questions or need any advice, just ask.

5. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

No problem JD! What would you recommend instead of the spray bar setup. I was thinking of mounting the pvc in the corner of the back and upper wall, so I dunno if he'll be able to get around it like this....? What do you think?

6. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

PVC pipe is flexable. If he can find a small gap it it he will get up their. My original idea, was it at your screen over the output fitting to prevent the snake from getting in the pipe.

7. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Thanks for the suggestion JD, I'm gonna see what I can come up with.
    Also, I'm looking for the bulb guards for inside the enclosure.....they're mesh or screen or something...any idea where I can find those?

8. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

Just about any descent pet store will have one type or another.

9. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Good luck on the upgrade!

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Most people build the bulb guards...there is a thread on the site about how to do so... I will see if I can find it. If not maybe someone knows where it is and can post the link?

11. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

If you build them your self, just make sure all cut wires are sanded smooth.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

See I knew MERLIN would know it! He is magic!

14. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

THANKS for the link!
    I'm wondering now though, if the ceramic heaters get hot enough on the surface to need the cage....?
    Or are these mainly used for bulbs?
    I'm planning on having the ceramic heater bulb mounted on the ceiling for both snakes(so inside the tank)......

15. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

So I finally uploaded my pics. The first one is where I ended yesterday and the rest are where I ended tonight.
    The spray bar setup is almost done, but you can kinda see how i'm running it.
    I'm hoping I can get the humidifier in the upper right area, if not it'll go on top of the whole thing.
    The tarantula will be below that on the right.
    The JCP will be on the upper left, and the BP will be in the lower section.
    The gap in the middle is where I'll be running the wiring for the lights for the lower section.
    So I have a few more boards to cut then I'll be caulking everything.
    I still havent decided on doors though :( . Sliding/hinges, glass/plexiglass.....no idea yet.
    Any recommendations would be great, and thanks so far for the help everyone!

[​IMG][/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's looking very nice!

17. Merlin

Absolutely! The surface will be quite hot. It will easily take the hide right off of you!
    Thats also why you have to use ceramic sockets. The cheap plastic ones will melt!

18. MicahC

MicahC Elite Member

Looking Good!

19. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

Thanks Thala!

And thanks for the info Merlin. I would rather buy the bulb enclosures, but I can only find them on UK websites. So I guess I'll be making them.
    I dont really understand what the oven plate is for though on the tutorial.

I'm planning on putting
    1 2" vent into the tarantula tank.....its 12x12x16
    2 2" vents in the JCP tank.....its 36X30x24
    3 2" vents in the BP tank.....its 48X18x24

Do these sound like enough venting?
    I'd really like to not lose any humidity or heat, but I want enough ventilation for them to breathe:).

20. Merlin

That should be plenty of vents! Too much even. But if it turns out to be you can always partially tape over the vent to close them off. Unless your cages are seriously air tight, there will be enough air exchange just opening the cages.
    The plate actually serves two purposes. One it helps to protect the wood from the heat. And the second it gives you a way to attach the wire cage to the CHE.
    I actually developed this type but when I was working on it I forgot to take pictures.
    Single minded male that I am!:">
    Once I described what I had done, Steph made one and took the photos.