This Disappears When Logged In

Help with 4 Month Old Water Dragon

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Tjjm, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Tjjm

Tjjm Well-Known Member

Hi all newbie here just a few questions about my new cwd. I've had him/her now since saturrday and when I brought home and even in pet shop was a lovely mint green colour but now has gone to a dark green on back. Also won't eat. It ate 2 mealworms on Saturday when I brought home and also had 3 yesterday but that's it I've tried on crickets (small) and small locust but not interested . Also how often should they be pooping it had 1 on Sunday and 1 today but that's it. And lastly only yesterday it started climbing and now rests about 6 inches lower than the intended basking. Please can someone help me as I'm really worrying now it's my first reptile but done as much research as I could before buying so wasn't an impulse buy so please help.

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Hi welcome to herp center! Can you post any pictures? And a run down of the tank would be great-why size, what is the tempature what are you measuring the temps with? What is the humidity ect ect

3. Tjjm

Tjjm Well-Known Member

Right here goes. It's currently in a vivexotic ax48 heated with 150w bulb on dimming stat and a 150w pulse stat I have a 42 inch uv on top at back and 36 inch uv on back of divider I have a 3x1x1 lxwxh fish tank at rear with rock wall and ledge built either side the tank is filtered and heated to 25 degrees. My temperatures are 92 basking 86 ambient and 76 cool end I'm measuring with Komodo dial thermometer I mist 3 times daily and temperature is between 60x80% with Komodo dial hygrometer and for substrate I have coconut terrain hope this helps can't post pictures as don't know how and I'm using iPhone to post. I have no pc sorry.

4. Tjjm

Tjjm Well-Known Member

That's a 150w ceramic heat emitter on pulse stat and night temps are usually around 74-78 degrees

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So dial thermometers can be off by 12+ degrees so you need to get a digital thermometer for accurate readings.
    Next it is probably stressed due to the new enclosure and people. What you want to do is leave some food in a bowl in the cage and only go near the cage to clean water and change food. Completely Ignore the dragon, it doesn't exist to you and you don't exist to it until it is settled in and comfortable again. If the cage is in a high traffic area covering the sides so it can't see people will help it settle in faster.
    CWDs will darken in color when they are stressed, unhappy, or cold. So you have to address each issue in turn.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh and for posting pics you can do it from your iPhone. Just above he dialogue box for the quick reply there is a button that looks like a tree in a frame. Click that. A pop up box will appear. Click on the from computer tab. Click the choose file button. Then either take the picture or choose existing. Select one picture and then click on the words "upload file" that is just under the choose file button. It will take a bit to load onto the reply but when it's done it will be a bunch of words and numbers in brackets. Once your post the reply an image will appear.

7. Tjjm

Tjjm Well-Known Member

Ok thanks just tried now and clicked from computer but it won't let me choose file

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

What iOS are you running?

9. Tjjm

Tjjm Well-Known Member

I think it's iOS 4.0 or something like that can you recommend a good digital thermometer then as I will order some tomorrow to double check all my temps thanks

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh yeah the older iOS won't do the picture upload.
    I use an AcuRite indoor/outdoor thermometer/hygrometer with wire probe.
    Here is what the unit looks like and this is on the cool side: image.jpg
    Then I took the probe and attached it to the basking spot. This way the probe will tell me the surface temp of the basking spot and the unit itself will tell me the cool side temp and the humidity. These are the most important measurements you would need. A
    I don't think the brand is too important as long as it is digital with a WIRED probe.
    Some people use the wireless but that doesn't give surface temps just the air temp.

11. Lyndsbelle

Lyndsbelle Elite Member

Are you using coco husk as the substrate?

12. Tjjm

Tjjm Well-Known Member

It's Komodo coconut terrain it's in a yellowbag there is like 5 p size chips of what looks like bark and it's quite soft to the touch you can flatten it between your fingers but I think he/she is settling down now got some more colour and ate 13 small locust this morning so hopefully starting to get settled now thanks everyone for all your help

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No problem! Hope she/he settles in nicely!

14. Tjjm

Tjjm Well-Known Member

Thanks I think settling in now he/she ate 13 small locust this morning dusted also one more question I'm dusting with Komodo cricket dust but I'm wondering is this all I need to dust with and how often should I dust as I've read story's about giving too much vit d3 and some about doing Monday,Wednesday,Friday without d3 and Tuesday,Thursday with d3 then multi vitamin supplement on weekend so would you b able to put some perspective on dusting for me thanks

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Dust with pure calcium (without d3) four days a week then multivitamin two days a week, and calcium with d3 one day a week until the dragon reaches about 14-16in then you dust less.

16. Tjjm

Tjjm Well-Known Member

Ok that's great thank you I can stop stressing out now I know what to supplement with and he/she has actually eaten something do you know if Komodo cricket dust is with or without vit d3 as I can't find anything on the label thanks

17. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I googled it an it does not contain d3 :)

18. Tjjm

Tjjm Well-Known Member

Ok thanks will take a trip tomorrow and get some multi vitamins and some calcium with d3

19. Tjjm

Tjjm Well-Known Member

Hi another question I just bought a 2 digital thermometers and the cool end is 77 ambient is 86 but the one that worries me is the basking spot is settling around 110 degrees which is way too hot I have the ceramic heat emitter on a pulse stat and this is at the back in the middle set to 88 and a 150w basking bulb on a dimming thermostat with probe in middleset to 88 so could anyone give me advice on how I can address this issue I was wondering why he/she was basking abbot 8 inches down from where the basking area suppose to be any ideas anyone thanks

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So both heat bulb are set on a thermostat that is set at 88 degrees but it isn't working?
    Tray switching the ceramic off and see what that gets you.