This Disappears When Logged In

Help! What Kind of Creature is This???

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by AshleyMae7, Apr 17, 2014.

1. AshleyMae7

AshleyMae7 New Member

I found this creature in a pond. I thought it might be a Salamander or water lizard,but I'm not sure. It has a green back and a yellow stomach. The weird part is, it has a spiked tail, like an alligator or crocodile. So, what do you think it is?

image.jpg

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Its definitely a type of salamander or newt. Giving you location will help us give you an exact species/subspecies.

3. trappen

trappen Elite Member

I agree location would help alot since the photo isnt that clear for identification.

4. trappen

trappen Elite Member

But from what I can see of the photo it may be a Great crested newt? Found in Europe and parts of Asia. I could be way off but with what I got to work with... How big was it?

5. AshleyMae7

AshleyMae7 New Member

The location is Glouster, Ohio. So the southeastern part of Ohio.

6. AshleyMae7

AshleyMae7 New Member

It wasn't too big nor small. But the tail was about as long as the body.

- - - Updated - - -

Tomorrow I can see if I can get a better photo of it.

7. avagaddis

avagaddis Well-Known Member

That is for sure a newt. Not a salamander at all. I'm not sure what type it is, but it's definitely not a Great Crested Newt.

8. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Technically all newts are salamanders but not all salamanders are newts.

9. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I would say eastern newt (Notophthalmus viridescens)

10. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

It is defffenently eastern meet (notophthalmas iridescent) as poison said.... we have them here in PA as well.. very interesting creatures as the have a few stages in their lives, 1st stage is a larva with gills and they are totally aquatic, 2nd is commonly known as the Red Eft and is semi aquatic, and last is the adult you see in the pic which is semi aquatic but prefers to hid on land close to the water...... these are the kind you see in slot of kid's aquariums....