This Disappears When Logged In

Help! Water Dragon Not Eating!!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by DragonGirl9130, Dec 29, 2009.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

This is the easiest thing to do: You need heat, that can be either the infra-red or a ceramic heater, the light from the infra-red will not bother the animal too much at night, ceramics last longer and only emmit heat, it`s your choice, THEN you need a UVB emmiting light, the best as I said are Megarays, but the fluorescent TUBES can be used, as Merlin and LIz say, either a 5-0 or a 10-0 is o.k, just for now, until you get those, use normal household bulbs for light and heat during the daytime.... You will need to try different wattages `til you get the temps at the proper level. If you can do that now, then let us know how you`re doing...

2. DragonGirl9130

DragonGirl9130 Active Member

I have UVB rays going into the cage just not strong enough i'm fixing that now, so that parts covered
    I'm covering the cage with a blanket to trap the heat inside as a tempory fix
    buying a infre-red lamp bulb for at night as a heat source and because they don't last long I will try the high household watt bulb for extra heat in the day so the infre-red is not being use all 24 hours.

I'm going to give it few days to figure out the temp patterns with having done all this and will check back. I still got the eating problem but maybe its all in the temps. thanks everyone and I am sorry about earlier about getting snappy I was out of line. I'll check back in a few days (need some time to see what works best)

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The temps ARE one of the problems, good luck, let everyone know how you get on, and the infra-red should last a few months!

4. DragonFamily

DragonFamily Elite Member

Looks like everyone has you going in the right direction.

I would highly suggest reading the care sheet on here - even if you have already before or think you know all the basics. It has good information you won't find other places:

Water Dragon Care Guide (Physignathus cocincinus)

Also, check out the Construction forums here at HC... They have awesome ideas and fully documented builds on enclosures for Water Dragons and much more. It can be pretty affordable if you do it right and give your Dragon a better environment than any commercially available cage:

Herp Habitat Construction - Reptile Forums - Herp Center

Here is the build thread for our Australian Water Dragon. It contains good info on lighting and heating (very picture heavy):

http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/25651-building-cage-awd.html

5. DragonGirl9130

What do I do with the humidifier I bought a while back. It blows out hot steam at the top and if I put it in the cage Draco will climb on it and burn himself but running it in the room the humidity wont get inside the cage any ways cause the cage is covered up. Do I just take a loss on the humidifier and count it as I can't use it.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What is the bottom of the cage made of, and is the whole cage covered up, because if the front is still the wire mesh, the humidity in the rest of the room WILL have some effect on the inside of the cage, although because of the heat, it wll be less, do you have a hygrometer for measuring the temps and humidity, if yes, what are they?

7. DragonGirl9130

Cage is completely covered up, bottom of cage has a Hard plastic tray, and I was just digging around fixing his filter so the temps might have escaped but of right now they are at 76 degrees with a humidity if 34% (not that good) has a basking spot of 89 degrees.

8. DragonGirl9130

I do have a floor heater, should I move the cage over that so the air blows up into the cage and be trapped within or is that not a good idea...problem is that it's by the window and the space round the window tends to get cold so in the end it might not matter

9. DragonGirl9130

forgot to mention one side of the tank is 81 (because of the basking lamp being on that side) and the other is 76 degrees and rising. now 78 degrees

10. DragonGirl9130

Ok my final Temps for the cage being covered with a blanket are 81 degrees with a humidity of 40%. He has a basking spot of 90 degees and the warm side of the tank (one with the basking lamp) is 86 possibly 87 (the meter was pretty close to the light so I think it's thrown off a tad)

I still have the humidifier and think I have a way to put it within the cage but I want to play around with it a bit to see what works best.

Still haven't heard back from the car shop and will be calling them soon so the vet visit is still on hold... when i get the car I will be calling to make him an appointment with the vet. (got it arranged with my mom. she takes Draco to the vet for me and that will be my early birthday present from her.)

I'm in the process of trying to get my mom's boyfriend to help me build a new cage for Draco. however, He is lazy and it will take a bit, so in the mean time I will do the best I can with Drakes....I looked at some of those links U all were giving me and got inspired.

I re-read a copy of the Water Dragon care page so I was refreshed with that Info.

And I think that sumes it up. Thank-You everyone once again and am still willing to listen to advice...(I have pictures of Draco and current cage setup in my public profile if anyones interested.)

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi DragonGirl9130,
    the dragon actually looks in quite nice condition, and the way you`ve set the cage up inside is good too, of course, you know it won`t do for too much longer, but so long as the temps and humidity can be kept at the recommended levels, it gives you time to sort a permanent home out. If you think that what you need to have is a large wooden box with a glass front, then it may not be so daunting! There are lots of members you can ask for advice, and I`m very pleased you`re feeling more positive now, too! :)

12. DragonGirl9130

found a temperary solution for the humidity....... Now time for building the new cage!!! Wish me luck...And thanks for setting me straight everyone:)

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

So glad you got things sorted out and your dragon should really start to perk up with the warmer temps. Good luck on your build.

14. DragonGirl9130

Dragon still not eating though...fed him some yogurt by dabbing it on his snout area and he actually ate quite a bit of that... should I be mushing up his worms and try to feed him that way or leave it alone and let him eat on his own. I think it's one day shy of 2 weeks that he stopped eating... Still drinks from his pool though and drinks a lot when he does which is often.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

He probably only stopped eating becase the temps were too low, how long ago were the photos taken, because he looke in quite nice condition in those pics?

16. DragonGirl9130

just a few days old, but when he's laying on the log he stomach gets pushed out, he really is quite slender. His new cage will probley take a week to be complete and probley a little longer considering the paint will have to dry not to mention I still have my mom pick up the stuff, can he go without food that long if he doesn't eat in the meantime.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

He can go a little longer, but it really would be better if he started eating properly asap, its important for him to keep his metabolism working efficiently, how are the temps now?

18. DragonGirl9130

83 degrees on avereage for the cool side, the humidity is now 70% and still climbing.

19. DragonGirl9130

I was trying to do some research on the megaray uvb lights and can't seem to figure it out. It says

■Optimal amounts of UVB in the range of wavelengths that produce vitamin D3.
    ■A strong beam that gives levels of UVB similar to morning sunlight at 12" distance and useful UVB up to 20" below the bulb.
    ■An unusually wide beam, ensuring the whole basking area - at least 18" across - receives good UVB, not just a tiny spot in the center.
    ■Remarkably long useful life. All UVB-producing lamps decay (lose UV strength) at different rates, over time. Our unique manufacturing process means our bulbs decay, on average, less than 30% over the life of the bulb. (Some other brands decay as much as 80% in less than 6 months.) And our 60watt EB bulbs carry a 1 year warranty!

so if I build draco a 5' long, 2 1/2 ' wide and a 6' high cage, will he have to be 20" under the bulb to get his rays (or 12") and when it talks about the wide beam it gives does that mean he don't have to be directly under the light but can be 18" away to the side??

and most importantly when will I have to change it out to put in a new one to keep the UVB rays, I don't think it says???

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

To make it easier, the range the UVB is useful depends on the wattage of the bulb, I use two of these lamps, one is 275w, that can be used up to 30 inches away. the other I use is 160w, that is most effective up to 20 inches. The tank size you mention is excellent, I would guess you will need a 275w, but you may also need another small heat bulb, (even a normal household just to get the temps up), but you can work that out when the tank is finished. As well you will probably need a fluorescent tube, (a 2-0 is o.k) for additional lighting. The Megaray will last at least one year, even then, it may still emmit at least some UVB, but it would be best to change after 12months. They really are the very best on the market, and will make a great difference to your dragon`s general well-being. The rays are effective in a 30 inch circumference, and because it will be the basking area, his whole body and tail should be within range...