This Disappears When Logged In

Help!! Water Dragon Impacted

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by DragonSlayer, Jan 10, 2015.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the details, it explains the lack of growth, and not to keep on about it, but photos may help a lot when you can get them (maybe we can spot something that needs adjusting somewhere)... ;)

2. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

3. DragonSlayer

this is a temporary setup, his new enclosure is in the garage I just can't get it around back of the house till next weekend and then it still has to sit to air out a few more weeks. The new enclosure is going to go in this room and he will have access in and out as he wants.

4. DragonSlayer

this room is getting studded out in about 2 weeks and concrete board hung on the walls.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the pics. I think the problem with not eating may be due to the lizard living in the room rather than in an enclosure where the conditions can be carefully controlled (he/she may spend time in relatively cool parts of the room even though there are clearly heat lamps/basking sites). Unless you can replicate the conditions the lizard needs at all times in the room I strongly advise NOT allowing free roaming except for very short periods and under close supervision.
    I take it the water in that container is heated?

6. DragonSlayer

Coolest spot in room at floor level is 78-79°.
    here's his routine climbs vines on the ladder to get to top, scopes out room jump from ladder into water, gets on top of waterfall and basks there to warm up, takes a trip around the room, backup swim through the water bask, back up from top of the ladder, same routine next.
    water is mid 80s

7. DragonSlayer

Went to the vet today, Walter was prescribed a laxative and a food supplement if needed.
    The vet said hopefully the laxative will help the foam beads pass.

From now on I am going to use no substrate in my enclosures. They said the concrete floor I had was the best thing. I eplained floor temps being anywhere from 81 to 79 where exposed and 72 was the lowest where I had it covered with the spread and packing blanket that was missing in that picture. Any dirt in plants will be covered in such a way that Walter can't get to them.
    In the new enclosure I'm using Universal Rock 3D backgrounds on all surfaces except top.

From what I understand I am lucky to have this vet in my area, the practice is opporated by a Dr. Stahl, who from what I was told by the first vet I went to when I adopted Walter, he is a very prominent exotic animal vet.

8. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

Rather than covering the dirt in the plants you could repot them using an organic potting soil that does not have any additives including those balls. Miracle Grow actually packages one. No fertilizers in it either.

9. DragonSlayer

the vet recommends no substrate in the enclosure at all. They say all it does is cause problems.

10. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

That's great, I hope it passes with no problems. You can have tile or paper towel or newspaper substrate.

11. DragonSlayer

Walter poopped and ate 5 spotted roaches.

12. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

Good to hear.

13. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Awe yeahh, that's good news!