This Disappears When Logged In

Help W/ Planning a Viv

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by michael2976, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael2976

michael2976 New Member

I'm new to this site and would like some help in planning out my viv for when I get home from my deployment in Iraq.
    I've actually been keeping all kinds of terrariums for since I was 12. I know that a lot of you have suggested not to mix species, but I've found that in a 55 gallon terrarium 3 Anoles, 1 Brown Anole, 2 House Geckos, 1 Green Tree Frog, 1 Cuban Tree Frog, and 2 Firebelly Toads can do alright.
    Anyways, I plan on getting either a 150 gallon or 210 gallon aquarium when I come home. I plan on making an area either 18 inches long and 18 inches wide, or 18" L and 24" W as a water area.
    I want to make a waterfall and some step areas in the water portion. I like the pics that people had w/ the GS, but feel kind of nervous about using it.
    I plan on using a fluval style pump for the waterfall as opposed to an internal one. I love using real plants in my terrariums, especially Crotons and Ficus Elasticas.
    My main question is can the GS be used underwater? Can anyone also give me some ideas for live plants besides the small offerings that you can find in Lowes or Home Depot.
    As a side note for whatever reason every terrarium I have, I end up having my "critters" breed. I really enjoyed my terrarium I had before my deployment (It had to be taken down because my wife thought it took too long to take care of.), anyways I got 2 Brown Anoles, 1 Green Anole, a Chubby Frog, 2 Firebelly Toads, and a House Gecko for my 55 Gal Terrarium.

Next thing I know I've got 5 more Brown Anoles, and a Tadpole. I really enjoyed watching all of these go from a hatchling to Adult size, and then the Tadpole to a small Tree Frog. My very aggressive Brown Anole who I called Godzilla ended up eating the Froglet I think, and then one of the baby Brown Anoles. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

UGH, that's a nightmare. First of all, firebelly toads produce toxins. So do cuban frogs. They can't be housed together or with anything else. About the only thing you can put together are the anoles and the Green Tree frogs. And the Chubby frog requires much warmer temps than any of the other inhabitants, so if you make the temps for the anole, the chubby will suffer and vice-a-versa.

I would maybe make a few smaller tanks, well planted to enjoy.

3. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

By mixing so many species in such a small enclosure, you're asking for trouble. The reason we suggest single-species enclosures is not just because they're a lot of work. All reptiles carry parasites, and some are deadly to one species, while helpful or harmless to another. As Liz said, Cubans and Firebelly's carry toxins that are poisonous to other species. Keeping them together is just a disaster waiting to happen. It's also difficult to monitor who is eating, and who is starving, which leads to cannibalism and the eating of cagemates. If you're quite insistent on housing 2 species together, get the larger aquarium and get 2 Green Tree Frogs and 2 Green Anoles. This way they each have room to get away from eachother.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Here is the space you need for these animals, housed ON THEIR OWN.

2 Brown Anoles - 20 gallons
    1 Green Anole - 10 gallons
    a Chubby Frog -20 gallons
    2 Firebelly Toads - 20 gallons
    and a House Gecko - 10 gallons

As you can see, you are already up to 90 gallons of space, not your 55. Its already too crowded. I would suggest getting a house for the firebellies on their own, and the chubby on its own. I have no idea how the house gecko does with other animals. The anoles and green tree frog can live together, BUT they need twice the space to live in harmony.

And your frog probably ate the froglet. They will cannibalize the young. This is why when there are tadpoles, we separate.

Its also not nice to keep a "godzilla" in with your other animals. They are caged and can't get away. That's not fair to them. In the lizard world, that's like locking up a fighting pit bull with a bait dog.

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

To answer the questions you actually asked....
    ~ Great Stuff is water proof and safe to use under water.
    ~ Crotons are listed on many toxic and poisonous plant lists that I found, and so I wouldn't suggest using it. The Rubber Tree Plant however should be safe.
    ~Here is a listing for some other ideas of safe plants. About.com: http://www.anapsid.org/resources/plants2.html

Now, I know you didn't ask about this stuff, but some things I want to point out about your post. You state that you know that it isn't a good idea to house multiple species together yet you still do it... You state that a tank with 6 different species in it can "do alright", but wouldn't you rather have the animals in your care thrive? and then even at the end of your post, you showed that things weren't as hunkydoory in your tank as you suggested. Smaller animals getting eaten by the bigger ones. This is a sign of stress and dominance issues going on between the animals... It has already been pointed out to you that you have species in there with DIFFERENT care requirements.

In order for a multiple species enclosure to work, all of the animals in that space have to have the SAME requirements, and you need to have massive amounts of space for them. Just because they might all live in the same environment in the wild, doesn't mean that they would do well closed up in a comparatively tiny space.

One other thing you would need to keep in mind is the possibility of you getting redeployed after getting this tank setup. Would your wife just do away with it all again?

6. michael2976

michael2976 New Member

Thanks everyone for the advice and constructive criticism. In response to some of your replies, the Cuban Tree Frog and Anoles actually lived together in a 29 and then a 55 gallon Terrarium as they got bigger. The Cuban Tree Frog lived for 15 years and the Anoles lived for about 17 years. House Geckos are very docile like Anoles. I don't plan on having as many critters this time around though. I plan on going with either a 150 or 210 gallon. This last set up didn't go too well for me. Like I said before I plan on making an 18" by 18" aquatic area for the 150 gallon tank, and a 18" L by 24" W area.
    In my 55 gallon terrarium, I had a 9" L by 13" W area that was water. I separated the land from the water by using a piece of plexiglass from Home Depot and then used aquarium sealant to keep it in place. I think I'm going to use the same method this time as well on the larger aquarium. I want to build a waterfall and cliff area with GS in the water area. I also plan on using egg crate to make a sloped area as well where the plexiglass is going to go. I'm more than likely not going to be deployed again as I'm retiring after this deployment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.