This Disappears When Logged In

Help- Stolen California Desert Tortoise! Over 64 Years Old.

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by jivu, Oct 4, 2015.

1. jivu

jivu Member

Hello reptile forum!
    My good friend's 84-year-old grandmother recently had her California Desert Tortoise, George, stolen from her yard in Burbank, California. A neighbor saw someone place George in a black or dark-colored car and drive away.
    George has been part of the family for OVER SIXTY-FOUR YEARS. His family is devastated without him. Efforts are being made to find him through neighbors, shelters, rescues and vets, and I'm expanding that to the net as well, as she is not very tech-savvy.
    Please, please keep an eye out!
    Anyone who has found a tortoise, recently purchased one, or is looking to sell or swap a large tortoise, please check to see if it is our George!
    Thank you very very much!

DlO1Kqd.jpg
    8CriYkt.jpg

ferasaeva and kriminaal like this.
  2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear about this! Have you contacted your local PD?

3. jivu

jivu Member

I believe they have, yes. Even the local news has been notified. But I will definitely double-check that though, thank you very much!

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It's so sad that someone would steal a life long family member, I hope you find George soon. I believe you can have him micro-chipped once you get him back.

5. jivu

jivu Member

That is definitely the plan! That and a security camera, for sure. It's terrible that someone would actually steal an old pet from an old lady :(

mshrmheadcharge likes this.
  6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I highly doubt he'd end up in Michigan, but I will keep an eye out anyway. What would scare me the most here is if he was stolen by one of the animal rights nutjobs, and released into the wild. I would check around for any of those groups in the area as well. I won't mention specifics on what I think should happen to the thief, because this is a family friendly forum, but you get my point.

7. jivu

jivu Member

That would be terrible :c It's illegal to release CA Desert Tortoises as it is, but this poor old guy has had his food hand delivered for over 60 years, I would hate to think of what could happen to him "in the wild"
    Thank you very much for keeping an eye out for him, even in Michigan.

8. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Maybe the person thought it was a stray?
    I really hope you get him back.

9. jivu

jivu Member

From what I understand, they opened the gate and went into the backyard and took him. Still hoping he turns up somewhere.

10. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Well-Known Member

Oh. I can't believe some one would do that. : (

11. ferasaeva

ferasaeva Well-Known Member

Was he visible from the street? Who knew he was back there? Have any neighbors who don't much agree with having him?