This Disappears When Logged In

Help! Small Bugs In Cage!

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by billrogers, Nov 7, 2015.

1. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

When I was cleaning my GTF cage today I noticed some small white bugs running around. There were two different types, on was round and looked like some sort of mite, the other was longer and skinny, kind of like grain of rice, they are both about 1 mm long. I couldn't get a picture because of their small size. If anyone has any idea what they could be and if they're harmful or not that would be great. The substrate in the tank is peat moss, I have a pothos plant and another plant that I don't know what type. I have some sticks from outside in there. Is that how the could have gotten it?

2. billrogers

I was just sitting on my bed with my laptop and my female frog appeared on my pillow!:D I didn't close the cage all the way earlier. That was surprising.:)

3. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Try capturing one of the rice shaped ones. If it bounces off or disappears when you try and touch it, its a springtail, which is totally harmless- feeding on mold and detritus.

The others are probably harmless as well. Im guessing you have some live plants and natural wood in the tank?

4. billrogers

Yeah, I have a pothos and what I think is a type of dracena. There are some sticks from outside in there. I'll upload a pic of their cage. I also got a pic of the top and under side of the round bugs. They look like mites. The pics of the bugs are magnified 80 times larger, but I also cropped the pics a bit so it may be a little bit more. Sorry for the poor quality, they were taken by an iPhone through the eyepiece of a microscope. IMG_8024.JPG FullSizeRender 4.jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Thanks for the pictures, rarely if ever do you get them like that haha.
    TBH with all the wood and plants in the tank, I'd be thoroughly surprised if you didnt see microfauna. If you can do so quickly without stress examine the frogs to see if they have any of them, they're usually congregated around the eyes.

I wouldn't be worried, though, probably just some harmless detrivorous mites.