This Disappears When Logged In

Help Sexing My Allies

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by Zigzag, May 5, 2013.

1. Zigzag

Zigzag New Member

Last week while cleaning my counter on my deck adjacent to the pool and I came across my favorite lizard ever.. An Alligator Lizard. I caught it in a container to protect its gorgeous tail. It actually escaped from the container when I went inside to make up its tank. I found it at the opposite end of the counter and transferred him into his 20 gallon tank, with many caves and branches for him to explore. Yesterday when I was getting something on the deck, I noticed a head of what I thought was a snake in an old fish tank. I got closer and I saw that I was this very pretty Allie with some red scales on her back. I put it in a 30 gallon tank, and now I'm excited that I have two. Now, after much searching I realized something- I might have a male and female. Ive wanted babies for a long time. About 6 years ago I caught my first Allie... with my hands, which ended up with an excruciating bite. And 4 years ago I caught my first pair which I put together, and thy mated, which I witnessed them wrapping themselves around each other on the center branch in their 55 gallon tank. They had eggs, but they never hatched, they just grew holes in them.. I released the pair and haven't seen a living one of these guys since, the last time I saw one was, sadly, a drowned one in my pool 2 years ago. But now I'm really excited about this! I believe I have a male and female, but I have the least knowledge about sexing lizards...
    I have some picture of their heads, as that is what I've used to try to sex them....
    The one with the back-round is the one I caught yesterday, and is about half the girth of the one I caught last week, and is a almost 1 inch shorter than the one I caught last week.
    Thanks for the help!!!
    alligator lizards 091.jpg alligator lizards 085.jpg

2. Zigzag

Zigzag New Member

The one with the BLACK bacround is the one I caught yesterday... Also it's more 4/5 the girth of the one I caught last week...