This Disappears When Logged In

Help! Searching for Info on Baby...

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Roochieblue, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Roochieblue

Roochieblue Member

We have what we believe is a baby black racer. Our son found 3 eggs in an old log pile in our yard a month ago. When I found out, he had already destroyed 2, I took the other and placed it in a plastic container on my front porch doubting it would hatch. It did 8 days ago! The baby had its' 1st shed yesterday. Also it is letting us hold it and being pretty calm, no biting.
    We tried to feed it a pinky today but it refused to eat. Is this normal?
    We have never been "snake people" so learning everything we can online to take care of this baby.

2. Roochieblue

Roochieblue Member

1235398_10201440279483180_500949963_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

A clear picture would help with positive identification. Racers don't always get the opportunity to eat pinkies, they are famous for eating other lizards (cry :p ) so the pinky may not be triggering a feed response. How big was the pinky you tried? there is a big difference between a "day old" and a pre fuzzy.

4. Roochieblue

Roochieblue Member

We got a day old frozen pinky from Petco and thawed it in water but the baby wasn't interested in it. I'm having trouble uploading an image on here but will keep trying.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I don't know what a baby racer looks like but that looks like a cornsnake to me. lol Where do you live? Knowing your state will help since we can compare what you have against the natural fauna. There is a field in your settings that allows for your location so people like me don't ask. :) The picture issue you were having with the linking is because you are new. The first few posts checks for links to ensure you aren't spamming. (We get thousands of spammer attempts a year, literally.) I approved the post and converted your link to an onsite image.

6. JoshuaJones

JoshuaJones Banned User

I'm not sure what kind of racers and/or coachwhips you have in your area, but it definitely looks like a baby Coluber of some kind. If black racers are the only local species of this genus, you have your answer. If not, it might be a little bit trickier. Coachwhips can look very similar as neonates. Given the rectangular look of the markings on the neck, I'm going to guess that it's a racer.

7. JoshuaJones

JoshuaJones Banned User

Oops.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  8. Roochieblue

Roochieblue Member

We live in South Carolina. At first we thought Willie T. (new name) was a rat snake but after researching online we're leaning more thinking it's the black racer.
    Going back to Petco today for crickets to see if he's interested in them. I've been searching in our yard this morning for a lizard, one small one I saw managed to escape from me under a wood pile.