This Disappears When Logged In

Help Save the Class Pet

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by kolomomma, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolomomma

kolomomma Member

I need some advice regarding an aquatic turtle -- looks like a slider to me -- that is being kept in my son's kindergarten class. His conditions are disgusting and I have found a local realtor willing to donate equipment for his proper care. My question is, what do I need? He is 4-5 inches long. I know he needs a bigger tank because they have him in a glass aquarium only twice his size. There is no water filter and no UV lightsource. No place he can get out of the nasty poop-filled water. I need a real low maintenance set-up because otherwise I have the feeling they will let everything go back to the way it is now as soon as my boy goes on to 1st grade and I stop bugging them. It makes me sick to look at the poor thing. :mad: I need specific advice and product recommendations. Also food recommendations. I believe all he gets is reptomin. I keep box turtles and desert tortoises, so I have some clue, but don't know specifically what a water turtle needs. Thank you!

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Do you think there is any way they may give up the class pet? It doesn't sound like he is being properly cared for, nor does it sound like they care to improve the conditions.

I don't know how low maitanance you can make a turtle tank but a filter will help immensly, hopefully someone will be along soon to recommend a good one. But no matter what I think water changes are going to be necessary. And that is going to be alot of work for someone who has no interest in the animal.

He also needs a land area, so he can get out. You can do this with stones and driftwood.

This looked like a pretty good overall slider care sheet: chelonia.org

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

General rule of thumb is 10 gallons per inch, a slider needs at least a 55 gallon tank and even that is too narrow in some cases. For a filter the Bio wheel 330 is good and for lighting the Reptisun 5.0 will work. This seems like a case of finding a good home for the turtle outside of the classroom. A cinderblock turned sideways is a good basking area. Good luck, and if necessary send them to my website for pictures of turtle setups.

4. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Jay,
    Do cinderblocks leech anything out into the water? I recall there being some mishaps with fish owners do to something being released by the cinder block.

5. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I could see how the calcium and limestone would change the ph of the water, making fish keeping difficult, but I couldn't find anything using a web search. I was trying to keep it simple, If I were building it for myself I would silicon in a piece of acrylic and fill it with river rocks. They do sell those floating resin turtle docks, maybe the petstore will throw one in.

6. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

http://adam3670.tripod.com/thecrittercove that's my website, it has a caresheet on RES. I do want to add that turtles are not low mainetence and if the class pet isn't going to get the attention and care it needs, it might be better to switch to hermit crabs or goldfish. You might want to run that idea by the teacher.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree the turtle would be better off elsewhere. No matter what sort of equipment is added without maintanence the tank will return to its current state.

8. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

For a tank, I would get a 50 Breeder or a 75 gallon tank. Along with that I would either get a fluval 4 external canister filter or TWO fluval 4 plus submergible filters. Use just a normal 60-75 watt house bulb with a clamp lamp for a basking spot and a reptisun 5.0. Get a durtle RAMP, not dock. The docks don't get the turtles fully out of the water. Fill the tank up with at least 6+ inches of water (around 10 is better), stick the ramp on a side of the tank, put the basking lamp over the ramp and the reptisun in the middle of the lid. Reptomin is fine, I use Wardly because it is cheaper. If possible provide greens at least once a week and feeder comets (goldfish) at least once a month. Make sure ALL feedings are in the water, turtles cannot swallow or digest out of water. If you need any more help than feel free to ask, I am willing to help any turtle. I am really glad that you are doing this for the turtle.

9. kolomomma

kolomomma Member

Thank you all for the advice. I have a feeling they are not going to go for this stuff however, particularly the size of tank needed. I don't think they'll want to devout that much space to the little guy. I am volunteering in the class tomorrow and will offer to take him off their hands if possible. My non-herper husband will be none too happy about another mouth to feed, but I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't do something. Wish me luck. If they refuse to do anything, I may report them for animal cruelty (after my son is out of her class, of course).

10. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I think you are making the right decision.

11. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Good luck tommorow! Maybe print up care sheets showing the amount of work involved, that might discourage the teach from trying to keep the animal. And good idea about waiting to get on the teachers bad side, nothing worst than a po'd teacher. :p

12. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Good luck

You are definitly doing the right thing! I hope that everything goes well! :D

13. kolomomma

kolomomma Member

Just thought I'd give you an update. Timmy the kindergarten turtle will be coming to live with us after the conclusion of the school year. The teacher didn't want to have to explain to the class why he suddenly disappeared. The deal is for the rest of the school year I will clean his present tank weekly and oversee his feedings. I will also give him a platform to get out of the water and a light. At the end of the year, I swap her a few goldfish for Timmy. I think everyone will be a lot happier now. The teacher doesn't have to worry about that stinky tank, I don't have to worry about the turtle, and the class will never know. Thank you all for your help and advise!

14. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Thats great news! I'm glad it worked out for the better and fish are a much more class friendly pet. Good luck with the turtle. :) We can't wait to see some photos.

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

That's great news! Are you going to keep the turtle or just hold on to him for a while till you find him a new home?

16. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Glad the teacher did the right thing!! And you get a new friend out of the deal.

17. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

GOOD FOR YOU! i am sooo glad. If herpcenter(and you) helped save one herp from doom, then it's worth it a million times plus one.

18. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Great!

I love a happy ending! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.