This Disappears When Logged In

Help - Red Tail Boa Sick????

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by scareine, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scareine

scareine New Member

My red tail boa keeps emitting this weird sigh/squeak type noise, it is really quiet, but he has never done that before. It has been going on for a few days, and I can't figure out what it is. Does anyone know?? Thanks for the help.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

could be a respiratory infection, which will need a trip to the vet for antibiotics if thats what it is. Be sure you take him to a certified herp/exotics vet and not a cat/dog vet.

3. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Welcome to HC, and I definitely agree with shlegelbagel. I'd get him to a herp vet as soon as possible. I wouldn't want to waste any time in case it's a respiratory infection.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Is there any evidence of excess fluid in the mouth.
    Bubbling or gurgling sounds when he breathes??
    Has the snake just shed or is it getting ready to?
    What are your temps and humidity?

5. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

i would look for bubbles coming out of the nose, and a thick mucous around the mouth. i have a burm that got an r.i. what are the temperatures in the cage?

6. scareine

scareine New Member

I just checked him and he is doing a wicked quick shed. I didn't think he would be shedding now, he didn't look like it. Maybe that had something to do with it?? I got a good view of his head, and there is no fluid in or around his mouth and nose.

7. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

is it a weezing or whistling sound that he is making?

8. scareine

scareine New Member

it was a whistling, but I haven't heard it since the shedding started.

9. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

i don't know. that's weird. have you took your rtb to the vet? that may be your best bet. or at least call the vet or something. because i don't know.

10. Merlin

Sometimes when a snake is shedding the scales inside the nostrils will cause flapping or whistling noise when it breathes. Since the sound stopped after the shed started I would suspect that was the source.
    Just keep a close eye(ear) on the snake for the next few days.

11. dan_rump

dan_rump Elite Member

that's interesting merlin. i have never heard of that before.

12. Merlin

It will get your attention, Sometimes it will even be a loud popping sound!

13. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

That's amazing! I had no idea that could happen with a shed. Learn something new every day :)

14. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Dizzy (my iguana) does it on occasion, he never seems to get his nose shed off.

15. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

I agree with Merlin, my boa Selmac did this a few months ago, I rushed him into the vet right away and she found some shed beginning in his nostril that was causing the whistling. Freya the iguana does the same thing when her nostrils shed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.