This Disappears When Logged In

Help Re-doing Russian Box Tortoise Habbitat

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by annaliese, Feb 18, 2013.

1. annaliese

annaliese Member

I have my russian box tortoise in a cage with clear walls. I know, I just recently found out that that is not good. they dont understand glass, and it stresses them out. I am not at all happy with the size. It's not tiny, but I would like her to have more room. Any ideas on what type of cage to use? I did some reading online, and many people said to use big, colored, plastic containers. I don't really like this idea. I dont know what i would use for a top. I know she wont get out, but I feel that I should have a top on it because I have other pets. I also feel like keeping a tortoise in a plastic container, is not how they should be taken care of.

She has a 'tub' of water to sit in. Should I use spring water in this? I have been to be safe.
    I also have a reptile dish for her to dig in. I filled it with coconut fiber and terrarium moss. She needs this right? She doesn't use it much.

Also, any overall tips for caring for them. I have the proper lighting, and she gets many vegtables and tortoise food.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

3. annaliese

annaliese Member

Wow, I feel stupid lol.
    Thank you for your help!
    Also, she is less then a foot long

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No problem your not the first one to call it a Russian box. But boxies are a type of turtle that have a two piece bottom shell that allows them to close up completely. The Russians and the boxies have completely different care so it's best not to confuse them.
    Here is a care sheet for the Russian tortoise: Russian Tortoise Caresheet (Testudo horsfieldi)

5. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

She won't hit a foot. I believe females only get to be about 8 inches and males about 6.

6. annaliese

annaliese Member

Thank you guys for your help! I really appreciate it!