This Disappears When Logged In

Help Please!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Dagiz, May 1, 2014.

1. Dagiz

Dagiz Member

Okay, so I teach at a lower. Income middle school and just received a donation of three red eared sliders. Tank looks to be about a 40 gallon breeder tank.

Questions are:

With the three red eared sliders, is that enough or should I try and find a home for one of them?

Right now there is nothing but water, no decor or anything, so what are some good ideas for setting them up?

I've become the local rescue center (to date one tarantula and now these three and I get questions about taking more in) for our community.

Not sure when the last time they were fed, but I'm heading to the local reptile store to get some food for them and things to set up a great environment for them.

Any suggestions would be great!

And I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Skip any gravel or rocks for the bottom, it just makes maintenance a lot more involved. And no, the tank won't be big enough unless they're still fairly small. Youll be looking at something on the order of a 75gal for a single adult, and even bigger for 3. Not sure if your wanting to have these as classroom pets, but the 100gal plastic stock tanks from the farm supply stores can usually be had cheap and work well.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And without good filtration or else constant maintenance the tank will soon smell like a sewer.
    An adult Red eared slider is going to be the size of a dinner plate.
    And not sure how old your students are but they BITE!
    The turtles that is.

4. Dagiz

Dagiz Member

Okay, so I went ahead and got a FLUVAL U2 filter, I've seen it in action before at some of the local shops and it looks to do a pretty good job.

That said, part of the goal is to have the kids help out with the care and maintenance, so cleaning the tank is one of the jobs that they are going to be responsible for on a weekly basis. Added a turtle dock for right now so there is something for them to bask. I did get a UVB bulb and also a red heat lamp as well to help out. Very bare bones, but this was somewhat of a surprise. It was basically the student's dad showing up with them. We've had conversations about it before but nothing concrete was set up so I'm a bit blindsided by this.

From what info I got, they were just in the tank with water and when dropped off were in a home depot bucket that was filled with water...and no the bucket had not been cleaned prior so there was quite a bit of dirty water in there that was quickly disposed of once we got the tank set up somewhat. Personally looking at the tank (once I'm home I'll post the pics that I have so far) I know it's going to be too small soon and maybe now, so I'm looking at larger tanks. Last time they ate was probably a week ago from what I was told, so they have been given some carrots to start (and they don't seem to like those) and a tasty treat of feeder fish. I was given feeder goldfish, and they were all devoured. In researching it seems like they will eat all the time if given the chance, so I'll adjust that schedule after picking up some pellets. Water temp is a just about 80F, so I know it will go down over night and get closer to the room temperature and normal temp range for them- the water was very cold when they were brought in.

So far so good, so we'll see what the morning brings.

5. Dagiz

Dagiz Member

So as a science teacher my math skills are way off today!

It is not a 40 gallon, but rather a 30, so that is going to need to be changed as soon as I can. This is what came.

As you can see, turtles are getting there in size. Haven't had a chance to sex them just yet. Any suggestions again would be welcome.

Attached Files:

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I'm glad your able to take them in. I don't have turtles but I have tarantulas and snakes, so I can't be much help just thought I'd give you a thumbs up.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Yikes, they're bigger than I thought they would be. You'll be needing a huge aquarium or a good size stock tank to set them up properly if you want to keep all 3. Waterland makes a good size setup, but I'm not sure where to get one, and they're not cheap. I'll see if I can find a link. I would recommend Mazuri freshwater tutle diet, and a good mix of leafy greens, like kale, collard, mustard, dandelion (no lettuce) and assorted other stuff like minnows, earthworms, crickets, dubia roaches and so on. Stay away from the feeder goldfish, they are often raised in poor conditions and can carry a lot of parasites, plus they can cause thiamine issues in reptiles.

8. Dagiz

Dagiz Member

Thanks for the info. I just wish I had more time to research things instead of doing it on the fly. Good news is the water is a lot cleaner, better temp control and for the first time they were basking on the simple turtle basking platform. Craigslist has had some good deal on larger tanks, so that seems to be where I'm heading to. And they ate the pellets (store only had the reptimin ones) still looking for a local dealer in the mazuri since it seems to be the best recommended. I just wish the cafeteria had kale...would make life so much easier :).