This Disappears When Logged In

HELP! Paints and Waterproofing

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Kitty1985, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Kitty1985

Kitty1985 Member

I'm building an enclosure for my iguana. 6ft×32' and 32' deep (made from ply wood). This is my first time building something like this and I am in need of advice badly. What can I use to paint the outside of the enclosure and what kind of waterproofing should I use for the inside that's safe? I'm also planning to line the inside with contact paper and putting indoor/outdoor carpeting on the bottom and shelves. All the advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

the inside I would recommend polycrylic and on the outside I thnk you can use an acrylic based paint and seal it with polyurithain....( I think I spelled it right lol)

3. Kitty1985

Kitty1985 Member

Its so confusing only because I'm getting mixed comments. The people that work in Home Depot lack so much knowledge of their products and I end up buying the wrong stuff. I want to make sure of the correct stuff so I know exactly what I'm buying. Well someone is getting it for me. I'm actually getting plexiglass for free too.

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

cool.... but you can even do a nice stain on the outside and seal it with polyurethane..... and as I said polycrylic I think is the best for the inside.....

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I don`t understand the measurements, are they 32 feet or 3 ft . 2 inches?
    Polycrylic IS polyurethane, and yes, it would be fine inside and out with 3 or 4 coats, you can also buy it in different wood shades/colours rather than staining it separately. I personally prefer the satin finish, but obviously the choice is yours!

- - - Updated - - -

Plexiglass will scratch very easily, much better to use 6mm (1/4 inch) plate glass.

6. Kitty1985

Kitty1985 Member

32' means 32 inches

7. Kitty1985

Kitty1985 Member

I'm gonna post a pic of how the cage is coming along

8. Kitty1985

Kitty1985 Member

9. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

You can stain or paint the outside. I use water based poly to seal my cages on the inside.

Looks like its coming along nicely!

10. Kitty1985

Kitty1985 Member

Correction on the measurements....I was suffering from a serious headache and wrote my measurements wrong. My enclosure after its finish is gonna be 6ft tall by 4ft long and 32 inches deep. Sorry for the mix up.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I forgive you, and hopefully the rest of the members will too, and I hope the headache gets better soon... ;)

Edit: I like what you`ve done so far, can I ask if the top is completely solid (it looks as if there may be some screen)?

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just so you know 32' means 32 feet.
    32 inches would be written... 32"

13. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

32 feet would be an awesome enclosure!!!! you sure you don't wanna go with that? :)

14. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ok, to answer your original question, polycrylic is fine for the interior, it is water based and should be fully cured out within a week or so from the last coat. As for the exterior, you can pretty much do that however you want, you lizard won't be coming in contact with the outside much if at all. I actually just use an indoor/outdoor acrylic latex flat black on my cages.
    Now can I ask, are you planning on building another cage for your iguana later on? I'm just wondering because having a potentially 6 foot lizard in a 4 foot cage will be an issue.