This Disappears When Logged In

Help - No Eyes, RI, Mites..

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by l0vx3, May 21, 2012.

1. l0vx3

l0vx3 Member

I've recently purchased a colombian rainbow boa from a local pet store a few days ago. I purchased him to rescue him. He's less than a year old, and both of his eyes are completely gone. It's sad to see. His humidity was very low to none at the pet shop and they said he lost his eyes due to bad sheds. However, I spoke with a rainbow boa breeder and they said a snake should not lose their eyes due to bad sheds. What could cause this snake to lose his eyes?

I kept his humidity high, around 90% and I'm worried now he might have a respiratory infection. How long in poor conditions would it take to develop and RI? Did I give this to him or did he maybe get it from the pet store? I've only had him for 4 days. I read before I purchased him that baby rainbow boas like their humidity around 90 - 95 percent, but now I'm seeing on other sites that it should be kept at about 80.

Also, I'm using All Living Things Tropical Cypress Bedding. It's mostly little pieces of wood, like wood chips. Lodged in a few of his scales are dark spots which could be mites. I am familiar with mites, because when I got my red tail boa he was invested with mites and I had to cure him of that. But could these black things be pieces of bedding stuck in him? It's hard for me to turn him upside down and try to get a clear look at the things in his scales. I'd push one out but I don't want to disturb him any further for awhile. I'm taking him to the vet by the way, either tomorrow (tuesday) or sometime this week. Thank you to whoever can help!

2. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Poor little guy. Maybe you could post some pictures of the snake and tell us (or show us) his setup, size of enclosure, temps and humidity, how you are measuring temps and humidity etc. Also see if you can get some pictures of the bedding/mites in his scales. You don't have to flip him over, just put him in a clear container and take the picture from below. Good luck with your rescue!

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

The black spots could also be scale rot.

4. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Oh, and since you're taking him to the vet see if you can get a fresh fecal sample to be tested for parasites!

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I would recomend the vet. With the RI, it is something that happens over a period of time. Not 4 days. I've never heard of the loosing his eyes. I would also recommend pictures. Also, what are you using to measure the temps, humidity with? Dial ones can be very inaccurate. I use a Accurite digital thermometer with probe for 12.00 at Walmart. It also gives humidity levels. Keep us updated as I am very interested in the eyes.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Snakes with mites will frequently spend a lot of time in their water dish, regardless of ambient humidity, in an attempt to drown off the mites. Take a damp paper towel, and simply wipe down your snake. If you have little black specks moving around on it, you have mites.

I would suggest dropping the humidity to around 75%-80%, and making absolutely sure your snake has a dry area within his cage where he can dry off. While they like humidity, they do not want or need to lie on soggy substrate 24/7. Also, make sure the air in there is not stagnant, as you need some circulation (even if it means spraying more often) to avoid mold and mildew problems, as well as scale rot.

A respiratory problem was almost certainly there before you got him. Bump his basking spot temperatures a couple degrees (to around 90-95ºF). The warmer temps will help his immune system.

As to the eyes, if he had many many bad sheds that resulted in attached eye caps, that were never removed or treated, an infection could have started under them, which took the eye. Often, such infections can easily spread to nearby areas - have your vet check for signs of mouth rot or other ailments as well.

Other than the stated problems, how is he doing? Is he eating and pooping regularly for you? Is he moving around and basking and thermoregulating? Is he active at night? Does he soak in his water dish? Can you hear any sounds from breathing?

7. l0vx3

l0vx3 Member

Thanks for all the advice every one. Aja, I will ask the vet about scale rot. I kind of thought of that because around his mouth seems to look a little odd to me. I see little spots or different colored parts. That's definitely something I could bring up. I could just not be used to rainbow boa's faces though.

The photos aren't uploading to my computer.. I don't know why, hmm. But for now, anna and TJOHNSON, when I got him I threw a tank together really quick because I got him on the spur of the moment as a rescue. He's currently in a 5 gallon, which he actually fits in fine because he's so tiny. I'm upgrading him to a 10 - 12 gallon very soon. I'm using two thermometers I bought really cheap from Lowe's. One for the hot side, one for the cool side. The one on the cool side (which I actually keep in the middle in this case) has a humidity dial attached to it. I'll get pictures soon hopefully lol. He has a big enough water container on the hot side and a smaller one on the cool side. I tried to make him a humid hide but he can't find the opening to it on his own :( I have some moss placed around the tank as well. I lowered the humidity to 80 last night and that's where it's stayed. The temps have increased a little bit I believe, to about 85 on the hot side.

anna and Dragoness, I haven't seen mites in his water bowl thankfully. He does move around his enclosure. He borrows, goes behind the water dish to squish up, swims around in his water every now and then.. so hopefully that's a good sign. I tried feeding him the second day I had him and he didn't eat. Maybe he needs that week long period of adjustment to his new home? And he has not pooped either so I can't even bring in a sample. I'm not too worried about it yet, cause if he is very sick that would explain why he's not eating. If not, he may just not be hungry yet. When I tried to feed him though, I thought it was odd, he pushed the food around with his nose like it was in his way.

8. l0vx3

l0vx3 Member

Oh and thank you TJOHNSON, I'll definitely make a trip out to walmart for that thermometer, that would be great to have. I'm bringing the snake to the vet today in a few hours so I will post every thing the vet says about the snakes condition.

Here are some photos, I can get more of his eyes too.
    2012-05-19_17-08-24_804.jpg 2012-05-22_10-47-38_745.jpg

9. l0vx3

l0vx3 Member

I took him to the vet. Obviously, his eyes are unsalvageable. He does have a respiratory infection which he's being treated with that Baytril or whatever antibiotics. He has mouth rot and the vet said to rub listerine on his mouth with a cotton ball twice a day. Does this sound right to anyone? If so, what type of listerine would be best? He also has mites. I'm changing him to paper towels and will begin treatment for the mites either tonight when he gets his new, bigger tank or tomorrow morning so he has some rest.

2012-05-22_10-58-54_931.jpg 2012-05-22_11-16-27_157.jpg

10. mele

mele Elite Member

Poor baby :(
    I'm sending healing thoughts his way :)

11. l0vx3

l0vx3 Member

thank you <3

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Best of luck with the little guy, hopefully he will heal and recover from these infections. Saying a prayer for the little guy!

Did the vet say what caused his eyes to do that. They almost look like they are gone.

13. l0vx3

l0vx3 Member

thank you too <3

the vet doesn't know for sure but says it's possible that since the humidity was so low, he had problems shedding his eye caps so the built up eye caps eventually manifested an infection. they're just two shallow socket-like things now. one side has a little bump/dot in it still. the second picture of him shows that side and you can see it in the center. gross and sad :(

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's horrible. Poor guy! Best of luck to the both of you! :) be sure to keep us updated.

15. l0vx3

l0vx3 Member

If anyone knows the proper way to diagnose mouth rot versus just some scabs let me know! The vet wasn't very thorough and i dont want to give the snake mouth rot medication if he doesn't need it.

16. mld

Here is an article that explains it more;
    Ulcerative Stomatitis (Mouth Rot)

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have not heard of using Listerine on mouth rot. Good luck with your snake!

18. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Ok, for mites, which I currently have also. :((( What I am doing is going by the article Rich wrote. You can find it under articles. I would post it but i am not very good at that. I am using Equate bedding spray, it has the permytherin which is the same active ingredient that Provent a Mite has. I am also using reptile relief spray on mine just not around the heads. I do this every 2 weeks. It says you can do this and they will be gone in 60 days, but I plan on doing this for about 90 days just to be safe. You can try that if you want. It is supposed to be a fool proof way to get rid of them.

The not eating, it could be a combination of the two. I have heard of snakes not wanting to eat if they have mouth rot. BUT, it took my Burm a long time (more than 2 weeks) before he would eat for me. He was a baby also when we first got him. I wouldnt worry about it that much yet.

I also have never heard using listerine on mouth rot. I would just get regular listerine for it if the vet didnt specify what type to use if you decide to do this. Let us know how he is doing. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

19. mld

I'm surprised that the vet didn't suggest taking some oral rinse with you. I've heard of using diluted chlorhexidine, but not Listerine.

20. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The petstore is liable for the vet bills. I would let them know they can cover the vet bills or your vet will be bringing them up on charges of animal neglect for not taking care of the issue before it got that far. There is a good chance they may be willing to help with the costs or else you should follow through with an animal neglect case with your local humane society. You have the date purchased, a vet visit, and the animal as proof.