This Disappears When Logged In

HELP: New Dumeril's is "whistling"

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by EriksExotics, Sep 8, 2013.

1. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Hello. I got a new Dum's today, and it makes a whistling noise every time I touch it. I originally thought it could be a RI, but I see no other symptoms at all. Then my brother asked an amazingly simple question: Is it just hissing? I've heard hissing from snakes before and it's usually a more intense sound. It's not making the sound any other time, besides when I hold and touch her, however she's super docile. She's currently in shed, so that's another reason I believe that her hissing is plausible. If it IS hissing, it's a very light hissing sound. Any thoughts?

Enclosure size: 35" x 18" x 7"

No substrate, ATM

Temps & humidity: Ambient - 75, Hot side - 88, Humidity - 55%

Feeding: Large Rat

No enclosure pictures, at the moment.

Attached Files:

2. EriksExotics

Increasing enclosure size very soon.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You should stop handling him until he's had time to settle in and adjust. He is probably hissing at you.

4. EriksExotics

Thanks. I only handed her once (when I was putting her in her enclosure), and then later on once more because I had to move her rack

5. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Yes, give her time. If she still makes that sound after she's settled in, I would vote that she's just hissing. I know my carpet python has a 'tude and will huff at me from time to time.

However, if you're really worried about an RI, a vet visit is always a good thing.