This Disappears When Logged In

Help Needed to ID Morph

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by ewertb, May 14, 2013.

1. ewertb

ewertb New Member

Hi, I'm new on the forum from South Africa.

We don't have many AFT morphs available locally, just normals and caramel albinos that anyone can tell, so it was somewhat surprising when I found a guy selling these 5 AFTs. He is selling them as normals and sent me the fotos but from what I've seen on the net only the one female (Female 2) looks like a normal. The closest resemblance I can find for the 2 males and other 2 females are oreos and I'm hoping the UK forum can help me confirm this or otherwise identify the morphs.

Female 1
    Female 1.JPG

Female 2
    Female 2.JPG

Female 3
    Female 3.JPG

Male 1
    Male 1.JPG

Male 2
    Male 2.JPG

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

With the lighting, I'm finding it hard to see their true colors. Could you describe them for each picture (other than the second, which I agree is a Normal)?

Unless you have any that are black and white in color (#1 and #5 maybe?), they wouldn't be Oreo (Axanthic). From what I can tell in this lighting, most of these are just varying shades of Normal or Wild Type.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

4. ewertb

ewertb New Member

I think you are right. I've had a look at the higher quality photos (before scaling down to be able to post on the forum) and all of them seem to have a very faint orange/tangerine tinge. A breeder I managed to contact referred to them as being 'high blush' and with a 'starburst'-like pattern. The starburst lineage apparently comes predominantly from tangerine albinos and these might likely be het albinos. Would make sense as that is the only morph other than normals available in SA...

5. ewertb

ewertb New Member

I'm more concerned about the sand causing impaction than humidity issues. There're ways of upping humidity irrespective of medium being used, just a matter of the amount of effort you wish to put in.

I will however remain with my original plan and not be buying these even though I'm itching to get my 1st geckos. My taste makes me cringe the moment I hear 'albino' mentioned so I lost interest as soon as I read the breeders reply.

6. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I was leaning towards potential Starburst as well, but based on what you had mentioned for availability, I was hesitant on mentioning it as I didn't think it'd be too likely. Are there not many breeders working with this species in your area?

Do you plan on breeding your geckos? Taste is of course a matter of preference, and there are plenty of people not comfortable with the albino lineage for any reptile. However, being het for albino in AFTs does mean different genetics are at play than if the gecko was visually albino. The gecko would merely be carrying the gene rather than expressing it.

Good for you for holding out though, if you're not comfortable with the breeder or his stock. Too many people are so desperate for a pet that they'll take whatever one(s) they can get, wherever they can get them, regardless if they're truly happy with the ones they select. I'm sure the right gecko will come along soon enough for you.

7. ewertb

ewertb New Member

AFTs are a fairly new breed in South Africa and still somewhat unknown to the general public. There are a couple of breeders but at present it makes up a small portion of their reptile breeding. At our most recent expo, which is coined as the biggest in SA, there were about 3 people selling AFTs with a total of maybe 10 on sale between them... Having only normals, albinos and on very rare occasion white socks (I've never seen one, this is hear say from the forum) in their striped and plain versions availble in the country is testament to how new and unknown they are.

Once I've settled into the hobby and gained some confidence and experience in keeping I'd like to do some breeding as an extention of the herping hobby. The white out morph especially caught my fancy so the plan is to get 2 normal females, striped or plain, to start of and keep as learning curve and once I'm confident and ready invest in importing a male white out. Unless someone else does me a favour and gets round to it, importing the first white out to SA and attempting to breed will be my contribution to AFTs in the country. And one day, a long time from now when I'm an 'expert' and set on taking over the world amongst other things I might even try to breed my ultimate favourite, the white out oreo!

At this stage though it seems I'll have to wait for the start of the next breeding season in October for my geckos to come along... Think I should start with cresties in the mean time...

Last edited: May 15, 2013