This Disappears When Logged In

Help !!! Need Monitor Advise.

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Mrs.hayner, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

Ok so here is the situation I just woke up to a what I believe to be monitor bitting my fuzzy blanket. My some left my front door open and I was on my couch I live on Montana and it's 46 out side so on the cold side. I sat up and got hissed at through a mouth full of blanket. I reached down and picked her(might be him) up and it hissed again and tried to tail WIP me but I am now holding the poor thing and have it on my heated blanket with my fuzzy over it because she's ice cold (and won't let my fuzzy go) it seems to be sleeping and won't let me move my other hand has it's front arm's and nails around my hand. What do I do next. I have a extra tank but it needs dug out and I own snakes so I have a light for heat but I know nothing about this.

2. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

3. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

4. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes you have a savanna monitor.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I would find out who the owner is first perhaps.
    Put a basking lamp out for him to keep warm under.
    Don't worry about food for a few days, just some water.

Darkbird likes this.
  7. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

I went around about a 6 block radius asking all the neighbors know know where she/he came from. For a quick set up I pulled out my old 30gal. (I know it's small) it's all I could find at such short notice. I put a basking Rock in and used Eco Earth I hope that's ok bedding . I own hermit crabs so I have extra. And put a log in for her to hide. Wich she seem to do a lot if other people look at her. She comes sits out staring at me if it's just me. I called the pound asked if any one called and asked about one. They said no one have that they would keep my info if anyone dose. And kids are going to put up a flyer . If no one steps up I'll keep her. That why I was trying to figure out what all I need. How often do they eat? What all do they eat? Sorry about all the questions.

8. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

How do you tell if it's a boy or girl? Do u know?

9. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

They eat insects. And alot... Like almost a handful a day for that size I believe. Get feeder insects from the pet store. Don't use a hot rock, those will burn him bad. Use a basking lamp. Surface temps of the basking area under the lamp need to reach 120f, and humidity needs reach 80% on the mid/cooler side, (will be less directly around lamp) eco earth will suffice for now on a very temporary basis, they need to burrow and feel secure (Which can't happen in a 30gal anyway) so he will need, as soon as possible, a sand/soil mix, and a much much larger enclosure (we're talking atleast 6'x4'x4' (feet))with substrate 12-18in deep.
    Sexing them is very difficult. Sometimes males will evert their hemipenes, in a territorial display or when deficating. And obviously females will become gravid.

10. Mrs.hayner

Mrs.hayner Active Member

Ok. And it's a regular rock not heated for under the light. If no one claims her I have a large cage I'll put her in as soon as I move my boa. And have plenty of sub for it.

11. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I said enclosure size 6x4x4. Meant to say 8x4x4