This Disappears When Logged In

Help! Mouldy Substrate!

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by HollyS, May 1, 2013.

1. HollyS

HollyS Well-Known Member

I have a single Brown Anole in a small Exo-Terra terrarium (vertical, a little larger than a 10 gallon tank) and just noticed today that his substrate has gone mouldy! I'm currently using coconut husk and the humidity in the terrarium is a little unstable (I'm working on regulating it, as I know this is not good for him), but is generally under 70%, so I don't think that there's too much moisture in there. How do I combat mould developing in his terrarium?

Thanks!

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Are you spraying the enclosure a lot in your efforts to stabilize the humidity? If so you should look into a more permanent solution. Spraying the enclosure doesn't necessarily mean more humidity, but it does mean soggy substrate. So you could be doing more harm than good by spraying all the time.

3. HollyS

HollyS Well-Known Member

I am misting a few times per day, so that might be it. Thanks! I am looking for another way to stabilize the humidity in there, but I'm having a hard time finding something affordable that will work. :\

4. OEW

OEW Elite Member

Coco husk is notorious for molding. Have you seen this yet? : Super Easy Enclosure Humidifier Set Up. It's probably one of the cheapest ways to keep up humidity. Instead of pipes you could also use some kind of flexible hose.

5. HollyS

HollyS Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll switch substrates and check that out!