This Disappears When Logged In

Help Me

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by reptilianfan, Dec 29, 2014.

1. reptilianfan

reptilianfan Member

Hi I'm worried about my tokay gecko when I got him about two weeks ago he was healthy and normal body thickness but he shed skin about 5 days ago after that he started getting really skinny and he's not as active as before. His tail is skinny and his eyes got darker. I still feed him like ten crickets but he only eats like two the test are eaten by the female.im worried he still moves at night but he's nit as active as before also he's to the bones. I don't know what's happening either his I'll or he has parasites. Do any of you guys know if a remedie or tips that can help me. Thank you in advance

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  3. reptilianfan

reptilianfan Member

It's usually 80 degrees in their cage and I mist them regularly like three times a day the substrate is like a mulch,coconut type its great at keeping humidity.

4. mshrmheadcharge

May I ask how you are measuring their temperatures? Have you had a chance to checkout the care sheet? Your basking temp should be warmer then 80 degrees, closer to 85-90. Humidity also needs to be high, 60-70%. DO you have a humidity gauge?
    It seems like he is not eating because the conditions in his enclosure are not ideal. Without a basking spot he cannot properly digest his food. I suggest getting a digital thermometer with a probe and adjusting your temps accordingly. That will most likely help get him eating again.

5. reptilianfan

reptilianfan Member

Ok his humidity levels are high like70-75% and I use a nighttime heat lamp which I keep in one end near a rock. Also I. Saw him eat last night he ate 1 but that's 3 crickets in 1 1\2 days the female is healthy and active and she is in the same enclosure. What do you think is wrong with him? Also the care sheet wont show it says there is an error.

6. mshrmheadcharge

Alright, what type of thermometer and hydrometer are you using? As I said in my other post it's the temperatures that need to be higher. Low temperatures will cause a low appetite. Did you give him time to settle in before putting him in an enclosure with the female? That can be very stressful and also spread illness.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You may need to separate your geckos to try and minimize any illness spreading. Your female may not stay healthy for long if he has anything contagious.

Ideally, new animals should be quarantined for a minimum of 30 days in their own enclosure to be sure they don't have any diseases or parasites before introducing them to cage-mates. Separate enclosure should always be kept available in case your geckos need separation because of illness or aggression.

Is your thermometer digital, analog, liquid crystal (stick on strip) or are you using a laser infrared (temp gun) We ask because not all thermometers are created equal. Digitals and temp guns are the most accurate, where the other varieties can be off by quite a bit - resulting in a hot spot that is too cool, even if your thermometer says otherwise. Hygrometers are about the same. digital is best. You can usually find one digital unit that measures both at most garden centers (or department stores that have a garden center within them) for about $15. You want the kind with a probe.

Once you can rule out temperature being an issue, you can look into other potential factors, but temperature is the most important, and most frequently overlooked one. It isn't something we can just guess at, your gecko has specific needs.

If the basking temperature is correct, I would add another basking spot. It may be that your female is hogging it, and not allowing the male to bask properly.

Following that, a vet can do a fecal and look for parasites, and treat accordingly.

8. reptilianfan

reptilianfan Member

Thanks for the help guys I use a digital thermometer and hydrometer that I got in petsmart. He died last night :'( I'm going to take the female to the vet as soon as I can. Should I change all the contents in the enclosure for new ones after this?

9. mshrmheadcharge

Oh no, blah. I'm really sorry to hear he passed. In the future, always isolate new animals until you know the are healthy.
    I would get rid of the substrate, and sanatize the enclosure and furniture. You can keep your female in a small holding container for a couple of hours while you clean it.
    Sorry for your loss.

10. reptilianfan

reptilianfan Member

Yeah.i cleaned everything yesturday im taking her to the vet this week when my.parents.have time because there is no reptile vet near here but already found the nearest one.

11. mshrmheadcharge

That's great to hear your parents are taking her to a vet. Good luck with that, I have never experienced the rage of a Tokay Gecko, but I've heard stories.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  12. reptilianfan

reptilianfan Member

They