This Disappears When Logged In

Help Me Sex My Sand Boa?

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by Terran, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Terran

Terran New Member

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me sex my sand boa. I got him from a reptile expo in October 2013 and was told he is a male. I also think he is a male, but I might just be influenced by what the breeder told me :p. Any opinions?

Thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

First glance... male but they can be tricky. Longer tail, even taper, and visible spurs leads me to think male.

3. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

The only sure way to know is by probing or popping (depends on age).Take the snake to a vet or someone with experience so they can check for you. I'd say this was a male because of the stocky tail and spurs, but visually it's impossible to be 100% certain.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I would trust the breeder and say you have a male. Males don't get very big compared to the females so it should be obvious in a couple years.

5. Terran

Terran New Member

Thank you for your help, everyone!

The breeder didn't know for sure either, that's why I was wondering. I guess I will know for sure in a few years. : )

Thank you again!

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Not that I'm an expert :p but you may know sooner that a 2 year wait. Males have a tendency to become picky eaters, only eating enough to keep them looking for a mate. Females on the other hand rarely pass on a meal and will double or triple the size and weight of the male. This is quite normal for KSB's, at least in my couple years of breeding these guys.

7. Terran

Terran New Member

Awesome,

Thank you for the advice, DwarvenChef