This Disappears When Logged In

Help Me Identify This Snake.

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by maryelizabeth, Oct 11, 2012.

1. maryelizabeth

maryelizabeth Elite Member

Why don't you start a thread, and then people can help you.
    Also, asking a question would make it easier for us to answer.

2. maryelizabeth

...Anyways.
    I bought some frozen mice at work today and brought them home. I defrosted them and fed them to her.
    The first one she struck at immediately, and ate it pretty quickly. She must have been very hungry. Then after she had gotten the first one down and was out flicking her tongue again, I offered her the second one. She looked at it for a minute and then took it very gently from my tongs. It was so adorable, she just melts my heart.
    253057_3836185743436_338728143_n.jpg
    Also, I have named her Peggy.

Attached Files:

3. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Congrats she's eating for you already!!! What a pretty snake too!

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on the feeding! I'd move her to medium rats atleast though, she looks big. I think our snakes are about the same size seeing how they're in the same family. You've gone from geckos to snakes quite well! :)

5. maryelizabeth

Thanks! I've always been really interested in them, so I'm happy this kinda fell into my lap.
    I was looking at the large mice vs small rats at my work, and the rats just looked so big. I figured it would be better to get to small than too big, but once she eats the two more mice I got her, I will switch to rats for sure.
    I kinda forgot how big she was. lol.

6. JoeyG

My little lesser girl is capable of taking small rats already :) it's amazing to see how much they can trully stretch their mouths. Remember to shoot for 1.5 her width at the largest part.

7. OrchidPal

OrchidPal Elite Member

I love the name Peggy! Food & a warm place to live ... she looks happier already! Great feeding photo by the way.

8. maryelizabeth

So now I have another question.
    She hisses, a lot. I have never really met a hissy snake before, and I'm not sure what it means. I try to handle her at least once a day, and she is fine when she is out of her tank, but still hisses quite a bit. I make sure to talk to her and pet her and touch her a bunch before I pick her up, I don't want to just go and grab her.
    She will come up to me and sniff, but she hisses all the time, and it's pretty loud.
    She never really shows any signs of aggression, but it makes me very nervous.
    Does any one know what it means, and if she will ever stop?

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Is it only in her cage? Or does she hiss outside her enclosure too?

10. maryelizabeth

It's both. She seems to kinda just do it. She does it very loud and angrily in her cage when I stroke her, but she does it outside her cage more quietly, and it seems kinda in tune with her breathing, and less like she is responding to anything I am doing.

11. JoeyG

If it's anything like mine it's simply telling to you to back off :) Odds are that she's not used to being handled so she's giving you a warning. Once you have her out allow her to crawl around over your arms where she wants and she'll begin to quiet down. Be mindful though to keep her away from your face, not trying to scare you but just a good rule of thumb. Also if I may, give her some time after feeding before handling. :) other then that, how's she doing?

12. maryelizabeth

I didn't hold her until last night, so it was 48 hours after feeding. She is okay, I kinda just ignore the hissing and pick her up and she seems to calm down. She is really active and wiggly, and REALLY strong. Sometimes she squeezes me so tight its kinda scary. I just call it a hug.

13. skeeterbite

skeeterbite New Member

Your snake is an Angolan python. There are some breeders out there producing this species. They are quite expensive. Lucky you.

14. skeeterbite

skeeterbite New Member

Google angolan pythons and it will bring up a few breeders and compare the pics.

15. JoeyG

Though they are very similar it is in fact a Irian carpet. Look at the faces of the Angolan and the Irian. The Angolan more closely resembles the face of a BP, both of them being from Africa. The Irian has a different face being in the Morelia family (along with my much loved GTPs). I'm no expert but from the photos in the begining of the thread I'd put some serious money on Carpet Python.

16. justor

justor Elite Member

It is in fact an Irian Jaya carpet python. Without a doubt.

17. maryelizabeth

I fed her another mouse a couple of days ago, and then yesterday I took her out and she played on the lawn. She was so happy to be able to stretch out her body and get some sun. I was half afraid that she would spook or something and get away from me, but she just slithered around slowly and stayed pretty close to me. There were only a few time I had to go and bring her back.
    She is turning out to be a really great pet. I took her to work because one of my coworkers is a snake nut and he was begging me to show him. She did really great, just hung around my neck while I walked around, and she was really calm when he was handling her.
    I'm so happy about how tame she is becoming.
    644042_3864093281107_975186611_n.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's great!

19. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Look at that happy snake! I'm glad she's in a good home with lots of food and company.

20. bradenbundy

bradenbundy Member

I have 12 snakes 5 pythons one of which is a african rock python naturally aggressive also my favorite lol i also have a coastal python and it looks identical twin to that snake. and 7 red tail boas and i would almost bet all my snakes on it that that snake right there in the picture is not an irian jaya python but it IS a coastal carpet python.