This Disappears When Logged In

Help Me Identify This Snake.

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by maryelizabeth, Oct 11, 2012.

1. maryelizabeth

maryelizabeth Elite Member

I work at Petsmart. A lady came in and asked me about mice, so I showed her our selection of frozen mice. She asked how to feed a snake a frozen mouse she got really scared looking. Then she asked me if snakes need water. I asked her what kind of snake she had, and she said it was a foot or so long black and brown snake, so I assumed ball python. She said she was two afraid to feed it, or even go in the room, and asked if I would take it.

I went to get the snake this morning. It was in a 20 gal long with no heat or water. It seemed like a ball python until I got closer, when I realized that I had no idea what it was. It is about 5 feet long, and very heavy. It seems friendly enough, but is very scared and shy.

If anyone can help me identify this snake, I would greatly appreciate it.

DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    DSC_0067.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Maybe a blood python?

3. maryelizabeth

I looked up blood python, the face shape seems to different. This snake is built just like a ball python, but it seems to big, and the pattern is so strange, the colors are almost right though.

4. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Looks part Angolan but not full blooded.
    Maybe an Angolan crossed with a BP

5. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

I'm on my phone I can't see the pictures very well. Maybe a more experienced python owner will chime in!

6. maryelizabeth

I've been doing more research, and it's starting to look more like a burm.
    Ahh! I don't need that much snake.

7. maryelizabeth

OH! did more research! I'm now thinking carpet python, which is much better than a burm.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I believe it is a carpet python, irian jaya or possibly coastal.
    Angolans are pretty rare.

9. maryelizabeth

Thanks. I'm pretty positive that it is an irian jaya carpet.
    I was just surprised, since I drove to this lady's house this morning expecting a 2 foot ball python.
    I've got some cage shopping to do, I don't think she will be happy in her little rack for very long.

10. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow!!! How lucky are you! It is a irian carpet, they get to about 5-7 feet long I think. They're the smaller of carpet pythons but with some handling should be a nice pet. Semi arboreal, awesome snake congrats!

11. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Yep it's an Irian Jaya. I didn't even think of that.....

12. maryelizabeth

Just out of curiosity, how much would a snake like this cost?
    I don't want to sell her, I just want to know what they go for.

13. JoeyG

I've seen babies for around 150-200. Not sure what the adults go for but I'd say 200-300 and like all snakes depends on the breeding. Nice find!

14. maryelizabeth

Thanks, I'm pretty excited about her. My only dilemma is I said I would take the snake because I had housing for a juv ball python. I don't exactly have it for a 5 foot carpet python. She is in a 32 quart tub in my rack system with my geckos. I guess it will have to do for the meantime, until I get something else set up for her.

What size tank would be best for her? Is a 40gal breeder a good size?

15. JoeyG

Not sure of the dimensions of a 40g breeder. I would say maybe do something with 36"lx18"w and 24"h. They do some climbing but also require hides like Balls. Or if you can do bigger it's always better. The bottom you want to be atleast 5sq feet so it has room and some opportunity for climbing with sturdy branches. Good luck and I'll be interested in how she comes along, I look forward to updates :)

16. Lucifer

Lucifer Member

From the picture it looks like it's going into shed, you might wanna up the humidity.

17. maryelizabeth

I thought she was looking a little cloudy. I will go mist her.
    The lady said she hadn't eaten in a few months. I was going to get a mouse or two after work tomorrow, or should I wait until after she sheds?
    Also, I have no idea what she has eaten previously; mice or rats, frozen or live. What do you think I should try first?
    I'm more of a gecko person. My brother has a ball python that I help with, and I have a baby corn snake, but this is my first big snake.
    So many questions! lol.

18. timvicknair03

timvicknair03 New Member

i need help too!!!!

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You could get one of those 36x18x36 exoterras or a 90g fish tank is 48x18x24. Anything larger is a bonus.

20. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

With?