This Disappears When Logged In

Help Making A Fiddler Crab Lid From A Bow Front Tank?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by betterrthings, Mar 29, 2015.

1. betterrthings

betterrthings New Member

I'm hoping to get more into the herp world but where I currently live I cannot have anything large.
    Therefore I recently got an old bow front aquarium out of storage. It holds 6.6 gallons roughly. I've used it for fish in the past, but the lid came broken (which wasn't an issue with the fish) & I was interested in using it for a group of fiddler crabs.

My issue is that the tank has been discontinued, and I cannot seem to find any way to cover the top! The tank was discontinued about 2 weeks after I bought it.

The lid was just a giant piece of plastic anyway, so I don't think that finding another version of it would help. It won't be secure enough & I won't be able to use the proper heating elements.

I've decided here will probably be my best place to post.

the only issue is the bow front.
    mDnJsyC.jpg
    The terrarium/tank in general is 24 inches long, 9 inches tall, and the bow front at it's widest point is 7/34 inches, and at it's narrowest is 7/12 inches.

I have now clue how I'd make a bow front lid like you would for a rectangle terrarium. And they don't sell it.

I do have the plastic rim that goes around the top of the tank.
    bzkJutC.jpg

With this on, the interior width at the top is reduced to an even 22 1/2 inches long by 6 inches wide.

Is there anyway to make a lid that would be secure for a small group of fiddler crabs? I just want to make sure they won't escape their vivarium. In desperate need of your help.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I would just use what's left of the top piece that you have and cut a piece of acrylic to fit the opening. Much easier to cut the square edges. As for securing the whole thing, get some self adhesive Velcro and put a small piece, say the hook side, at each corner. Then take longer strips of the fuzzy side, double one end up and stick it to itself, then press it onto the small sections of hook and run the rest of the strip with the exposed adhesive over and onto the lid. Simple, cheap and easy, now hopefully that made sense because I don't have a picture, lol.

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

A small piece of pegboard would be easy to cut to fit the opening and also provide plenty of ventilation.

4. betterrthings

betterrthings New Member

I'll be trying out these options within the upcoming weeks. Thank you both so much :)

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Pegboard won't work unless you seal it somehow, the humidity and moisture in this setup would destroy it in no time. The acrylic can be drilled as necessary, just be careful, go slow and use a sharp bit. Let the tool do the work, or you'll crack it. Been there before.