This Disappears When Logged In

Help Keeping Crickets Alive!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by aromatherapykim, Feb 18, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I think sustaining my feeders is the hardest part of keeping reptiles! I buy between 100-150 crickets at a time. I keep them in the larger cricket keeper available which is said it can hold up to 250. I feed them the flukers orange cubes. It doesn't take a week for a lot of them to die off and maggots start filling the tubes which ofcourse turn into those obnoxious little gnats. What am I doing wrong??

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Crickets are a pain! That's why most of us have gone to Dubia roaches. I suspect that not only is there not enough room in the cricket keeper, but the addition of the cubes is causing too much moisture.
    Also the lifespan of a cricket is only about 2 months.

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Moisture, crowding, air flow all play a part in the cricket game. High humidity can cause smells at best... over crowding can use up the oxygen rather fast but more importantly is the amount of Co2 produced. If you don't have good ventilation even small amounts of crickets will gas themselves out. I have holes drilled in my carriers to allow Co2 a way out, this alone cut my loss rate by 60%. I also started using Bug Burger as a feed and water item in one. With the added ventilation I don't have to worry about excess humidity and I loose very few crickets now.

Get a large enough holding tank for the number of crickets and ventilate it, Co2 sinks so ventilate low...

4. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

I have my bearded dragon on dubia and would like to switch the rest of my group to that aswell. I have 2 young crested geckos <1year, a sub adult fat tailed gecko, a young pacman frog, 2 tarantulas that are just switching between larger pinheads and small smalls, and one tarantula that eats smalls.
    What is the best way to switch these guys over? the dubia seem to run and hide in a corner under substrate or tank furniture if they're just dropped in. What is the best way to feed dubia to these guys? (by hand/tongs? or is there a special bowl I could use?)