This Disappears When Logged In

Help Identify My Turtle.

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Lucas791, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Lucas791

Lucas791 New Member

So I've been told it is a chinese stripe turtle, yet he barely swims and when be does he displays poor swimming ability by just moving around the top of the tank. He has almost NO webbing on his hands and feet, is he a land turtle? Please get back to me so I can provide a proper set up. I'm sure he is not sick or injured, I've had him checked out. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It is a chinese stripe turtle but these guys are not the most graceful of swimmers at such a young age. For an easier setup it would be best if you could do 1/4-1/3 land area that slopes down into a shallow water area thats about 4-6in deep. These are marsh/swamp turtles so having so much open deep water may be a bit frightening to him.

3. Lucas791

Lucas791 New Member

Why does he have no webbing? And at what age will he get a long tail and swim better?

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

He doesnt have alot of webbing right now since his feet are so tiny. As they grow you will notice the webbing. What do you mean about the long tail? The tails dont help them swim they are used for reproduction so the turtles with the longer tails would be a male.
    As far as swimming better turtles arent graceful in general but they are more confident swimmers when they are bigger about 3+in.