This Disappears When Logged In

Help ID Snake

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by williamb, Jun 26, 2012.

1. williamb

williamb Member

Can anyone help identify this snake. The local calls it a Boa but I am not sure that is the case.

The snake is between 4-5 ft and the picture is taken on the pacific coast of Nicaragua.

snakeid.jpg

snakeid2.jpg

2. thatguy87

thatguy87 Well-Known Member

How thick is it and do you have any more pictures

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Could it be a cat eyed (Leptodeira annulata)?? It's very pretty

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Yeah it looks like the cat eyed snakes. From the pictures it looks like a colubrid of some sort.

5. williamb

williamb Member

It is a rather thin snake. about 1 inch at 4-5ft. maybe 1 1/2 inch.

Here are some more pictures. If there is anything you want to see I can try to take a pic of that area.
    stomach.jpg

id1.jpg

id2.jpg

Leptodeira annulata seems to fit rather well however it seems to me that the apptern on them seldom if ever seem to go as far down towards the belly as they do on this snake. Another option that I have been playing with is a corallus annulatus allthough it might be to slender for that (see pic below) or some species of rat snake.

can.jpg

6. williamb

williamb Member

Also I can add that some specimens but not all of this species rattle their tail and produce a sound when cornered. They do not have a rattle.

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I can't tell if the snake you're attempting to ID has heat pits... This character is essential for correctly IDing the mystery snake as C annulatus. I think it may be too thick to be a cat eyed species (but I could be mistaken).

If it's lacking the heat pits I would agree that it looks like a species of rat snake.

8. williamb

williamb Member

Will check for heat pits when they come out tonight

9. williamb

williamb Member

I do not know if the close up allow you to see anything more. It is a bit blurry.

Attached Files:

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

No I still can't see if there are heat pits.

With respect to your earlier comment regarding the ventral striping, remember also that patterning can vary by locality and many species are polymorphic, even to a small degree. Body patterning isn't a character you can reliably use alone to ID species.

11. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Brown Tree Snake is my guess

brown-tree-snake.jpg

Attached Files:

12. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

It looks like a well fed one. The thicker they are, the less severe their "arrow head" appears. They come in all different shades of browns etc. Google image them.

13. williamb

williamb Member

Yes I agree that there are a lot of localities with different patterns but a google serach reveals none where the color extend far below half the body. However it def remains a possibility.

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I emphasized that because I've never found google to be a reliable resource for photos of the herps I've searched for.

15. williamb

williamb Member

EYes are too small for Brown tree snake which has bigger eyes + we are in the wrong part of the world. This snake is from Central America, Nicaragua and as far as i know there are no invasive population of the brown tree snake

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It looks like a Lyre Snake
    Trimorphodon biscutatus