This Disappears When Logged In

Help I Need to Identify My Frog

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by samwinchester, Jun 18, 2012.

1. samwinchester

samwinchester New Member

About a month ago I was on a walk in the forest with a new net I got I was walking next to a creek and noticed some small fish so I went in and attempted to catch some for my tank that was a failure but while sitting on a small island in the water I saw a sudden jolt of movement and out of instinct shot my net in to catch whatever had just moved at first I didn't notice it but then I saw a small movement in the net and saw a large mass of wriggleing brownish green flesh I then walked home and put the tadpole in a quarentine tank for 3 days after that it seemed safe for him/her to go in my large tank now he/she is a mid-sized froglet with a small amount of tail left and I don't know what he/she is HELP!!!!! :confused:

oh and I will post pics later sry

2. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I would be wary about catching and bringing in native species, but look forward to seeing photos. I raised tadpoles as a kid. :)

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Samwinchester, can you please be sure to punctuate your posts?

Did you already have frogs living in the tank into which you added the tadpole?

Also, 3 days is not enough time to quarantine. Quarantine periods should be 30 to 60 days, and longer for wild caught specimens who can carry the deadly chytrid fungus and infect the other inhabitants in the tank.

Have you considered buying captive bred frogs from a store? Amphibians are currently facing world wide die-offs culminating in whole species extinctions so you really really shouldn't be taking them out of the wild.

4. berdiesandfrogs

berdiesandfrogs Active Member

hey, what part of north Carolina are you from? there is a GREAT webpage with the native frogs down here, it may take a while to tell which kind you have though because the frog-lets aren't always the same as the adults. I can't post the link but just go to Google and type in "Frogs and Toads of North Carolina" and it should be the first one to pop up.
    And i agree, you should have kept it in quarantine longer, there are TONS of diseases that you could have transferred to your fish and other animals, but i hope this helps!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012