This Disappears When Logged In

Help, I Need a New Pet to Share a Tank with My Turtle

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Mars, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Mars

Mars New Member

OK my turtle is VERY small, and its a cheap eastern painted turtle nothing exotic. It can't swallow the turtle diet whole and so it bites it, claws at it, and gets a bunch of scraps into the water I try to make everything small as possible but there's always leftovers. I need something that will eat the leftover crap, live comfortably in a 10 gallon aquarium, and not be eaten by the turtle. What kinds of fish or amphibians can I get?

also I think he needs company.

(there is a basking area, filter, and the diet is Reptomin turtle sticks. I also feed him fruit, squash, shrimp, bloodworm etc...)

please no snails or slugs .-.

what animals do you guys house along with small aquatic turtles? Also include what animals I should add once my tank is upgraded to a 40-55gallon+ :D

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

The only suggestion that would work is a good filter 2-3x the tank size.
    Any fish you put in with a turtle is at risk of being supper. Amphibians will get ripped apart from your turtle. Turtles don't need a friend or company, they don't need social interaction like we do. They are perfectly happy living alone as long as their basic needs are met. Housing more then one turtle together often ends in a tragity. I have seen turtles with missing limbs and tails from cage mates.

3. Mars

Mars New Member

Thanks for the reply. I heard somewhere that bigger fish like algae eaters aren't bothered by the turtle but i also thought this same thing as you... I will feed him in a separate container to lessen the big food scraps. Is this ok?

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It may work but it may stress him out needlessly. Honestly a bigger filter and no gravel or substrate is the best for turtles.

5. Mars

Mars New Member

thanks, my tank already has no substrate and water clarity isn't a problem, so since I'm upgrading soon I'll wait til then to buy a better filter. Now I'm deciding what to put in this 10 gallon....

6. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I would just syphon out the bottom after feeding. Pleco's are slow and will get nipped, turtles have beak like mouths. My dog at the time lost a chunk of her nose when she went to sniff my big red ear slider. I had to rehome a 2 inch African cichlid(fish) because he was attacking my 8 inch pleco.

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If you get a full grown (18-24in) pleco they will be ok with a small turtle as long as there is plenty of other smaller fish for the turtle to eat but once the turtle gets about 8+ in it may start attacking the pleco-its really sad to see as the turtles tend to eat all the fins off of the larger fish and then the poor fish cant swim or move and ands up dying. You could just add several dozen rosy red minnows. The turtle will eat the fish and the pellets and then the fish will eat the left over pellets.

PS. as for what to put in the 10gal after the turtle is upgraded...use it to raise/quarantine the feeder fish before you through them into the turtle tank. This will reduce the risk of parasites, allow any small fish to grow to a good size so you arent feeding as many off which will save you money, and allows you to gutload them a bit so they are healthier to feed.

8. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

Plecos and turtles are a bad mix...my aunt has put 3 in her turtle tank and every one dies a horrible death. I just keep feeder guppies in my turtle tanks. They are cheap enough that if they get eaten its not a big deal and they eat the left over turtle food. My turtles actually ignore the adults for the most part but every time they have babies the babies don't last too long unfortunately.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Never put anything in with a turtle you dont want eaten. Had a snapper when I was a kid that was little more than a hatchling. Went to the local river to get crayfish, reasoning they would clean the mess from when I fed him. He ate the first I put in, so I went and got a couple more. One was a bit longer than he was, still only lasted a couple days. Thought to myself, need a bigger crayfish. Found a monster, so big I was worried for the turtle. 2 days later he had killed and was eating said monster crayfish. I started doing more frequent water changes after that. Tye point here is that turtles are voracious animals in a really cute package. Spent a day fishing around that same time period, had a really good catch, then forgot the stringer tied to the dock. The turtles left me nothing but heads the next morning. Lesson learned.

10. Vhcrater

Vhcrater Well-Known Member

When my red eared sliders were much smaller I had a Pleco in with them, to help assist the cleaning!! LOL! I had no problems, but it all depends. Like someone said above, never put anything in there that you don't want eaten. A good filter that can do triple the size of your tank, no "over feeding" and regular partial water changes should keep your tank plenty clean though! ;)