This Disappears When Logged In

Help?? Getting a BRB Soonish...can You Double Check Me?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by uncertainsky, Mar 15, 2013.

1. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

So I have been looking into getting a BRB for a while and have been doing research for a while now. I just want to run things by you guys to kinda double check the info I have accumulated and my plans.

I will start this guy out (he/she is just shy of 2 feet long) in a 3x1x1 glass tank with a plexi top that has a hole cut out for a CHE. Was gonna start with a 50 watt and go from there. Warm side should be around 84-87f hot spot of 90-92f and cool of 78-82f. Humidity around 85-95% for it now and 70-80% as an adult. Coconut husk or cypress mulch as a substrate to resisit mold and hold humidity. At least 2 hides (I will most likely have 3 main hides while its young with other "tank clutter" hide spots one on hot one on cool and a humid in between). Water bowl big enough to soak 3/4 of his body but shallow enough so he won't drown and more easily accessible. Feeding this young guy once every 5 days f/t rodents about the size of his largest girth spot on his body. Adult, same but every 8 or 9 days.

Adult cage same set up but it will be a 4.5'x2'x2'.

Anything I am missing or overlooking?

2. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

size of starter enclosure fine. covering top with plexi - good BUT heat emitter - BAD Need to cover MOST of the top with Plexi, ditch the heat emitter and go with a under tank heater.

Your proposed tempos are WAY too high. 82f high end , 75f cool end.

Water bowl should be larger so he can fully get in it. Should be wide and shallow. Deep enough to submerge but not so deep that he floats.

And the rest sounds fine.

3. uncertainsky

uncertainsky Elite Member

Oi, I don't know why I bother looking for care sheets online anymore. In just gonna ask here first next time lol

4. Rainbowsrus

Rainbowsrus Well-Known Member

Online care sheets are only as good as the site they are on. Reseller sites don't always know the best for individual species. Breeder sites are best for finding good care sheets.

5. emanresu

emanresu Member

You really don't need to feed them that frequently. I'd go every 6 days for a baby and gradually lengthen the feeding time to 14+ days for full grown adults. I feed mine 1 large rat every 3 or 4 weeks and she is over 6 feet (probably 6.5) long and not even remotely too thin. If I feed more frequently than that, she won't eat it. I'm sure they're all different though.

Like everyone else said, your temps are too high...Also, I don't see a need for more than 2 hide spots ever, odds are your snake will only use 1 or 2. Use cypress mulch for bedding! Handle frequently when it is young so that you aren't afraid of it when it is 6 feet long with teeth twice as tall as the letters on this page.