This Disappears When Logged In

Help Furnishing a Tokay Gecko Enclosure

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Ninjaguy1987, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Ninjaguy1987

Ninjaguy1987 Elite Member

What will i need besides these items:

Fake plants and various branches
    Cool and Hot side hides
    Drip Systems
    Cork Bark Slats
    Digital Thermometer
    Hydrometer
    Coconut Husk Block for substrate.
    Gooseneck lamp( for establishing a basking spot)
    Heat pad.

I'm starting to furnish one as my mom said i can get one. From what i understand they like tight places to sleep in so im gonna use bamboo siliconed in place as a sleeping place. I'm building the cage so that when i get my animal its all set. Also should i get something taller than a twenty gallon tall or will that be alright. I have examined the caresheet just trying to get an idea of what i need.

2. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Have you considered getting some live plants? They help with the humidity.
    A 20 gallon would be the minimum size that would be suitable I think.
    Don't forget to provide a dish of calcium. :)

3. Ninjaguy1987

Yep. Do you know of anywhere that one can purchase a captive bred offspring?

4. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

5. Ninjaguy1987

Thanks Gary. What about picking up a cb one at the upcoming super show(san diego) in june?

6. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Your guess is as good as mine.
    You might be able to find a list of breeders who are attending from the show's website, and then contact them beforehand.

7. Ninjaguy1987

Working on that. lol. They have like none listed yet. Gonna be a big show.

8. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

honestly, i wouldnt use a particulate substrait, mine go crazy with crickets and i think they would end up eating the substrate and getting an impaction, i would use something taller than a 20 gallon, they love to climb, i use the zoomed 18x18x24 cube, they love it, and a spray bottle is a lot cheaper than a drip system, but its preferance. just want to make sure you know what you are getting into, but tokays are very aggressive, my juvi's wont let me handle at all unless they are biting me. just a fair warning.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A drip system doesn't have to be expensive. You can put one together for 6-7 dollars!
    This is the one I designed for my veiled chameleon.
    Drip Watering System

10. blueginger

blueginger Elite Member

Merlin, that is a really neat set up for a drip.

11. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

i make everything else, never thought to make the drip system lol. good idea merlin!!!

12. Ninjaguy1987

Thanks Andy I understand that these geckos are challenging in the handling sense and accept that i might not get one to tame down. I have plan for how to handle it. I read article in reptile magazine that gave what seemed like great tips for how to work with them to tame them down some. One of the big points is that you need to make sure not to grab them and let them see that u pose no threat. and try to get them to climb on ur hand.

Merlin thats a really nice drip system i was planning on building something using some parts i saw at home depot.