This Disappears When Logged In

Help - Frog Won't Eat!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Joy81, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

So it's only been a week since I got my Whites tree frogs, but now I have a problem. The day after I brought them home I feed them, Rowdy the bigger of the two only ate one medium size cricket. Shy is the smaller one has eaten about 3-4 med crickets every other day since, with no problem. Rowdy just won't even bother, he snuggles down like he's gonna go to sleep:( He perks up and crawls around actively otherwise). The tank temp is about 80 degrees, cooling to room temp at about 70-75 at night. The humidity level goes from 40% to 60% after I mist the tank with declorinated water once a day in the morning. I'm worried, any ideas:confused:

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: Help Frog Won't Eat!

How are you feeding them? In their tank, or in a feeding tank? Separately or together?

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Try bumping up the temps to 85. 80 is a bit on the cool side.

4. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

When I feed them, I put them in a bucket so I know how much they are eating. I use the feed box method like I do with my snake, only it's a Frogs only bucket. lol
    I use an aquarium light as a heat source. Should I buy a lamp instead, or use it with the light that I already have?
    Do I need a tight beam bulb, or a regular heat lamp?
    I use a Flukers heat lamp for my snake, is that what I need to get? Do I need an infrared night bulb too?

5. schlegelbagel

Your night temps are fine. You may need a night bulb once winter hits and depending on how cold your house is. 70 - 75 degrees is the perfect night temp.

Your humidity is a bit low, you want to aim for 60 - 70% What is the top of your tank like?

And for added heat, get a regular old shop light and a 25 - 40 watt light bulb. I have a 40 watt in my RETF tank and keeps it at a nice 85 degrees. I have both the aquarium light and the shop light. The aquarium light is more for the plants than anything.

Since they are new and still settling in, you may want to feed in the enclosure for a while.

6. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

How will I know who eats all the crickets? Shy has the typical frog appetite, and he eats everything! I have a mesh top on the tank, but I can use a sheet of glass to cover part of it, that should help to keep some of the moisture in.

7. schlegelbagel

Glass or plexi will keep the moisture in. Heck, a piece of plastic bag will do the same too.

I have one frog who eats better in the tank than in a bucket. You can try tong feeding that way you know who gets what, and it won't stress him out like it would removing him and putting him into a bucket.

8. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

What if I put shy in the bucket to feed him, and put crickets in the cage for Rowdy at the same time, we could keep shy out to play with for a bit after he eats, so rowdy has a chance, lol :)

9. schlegelbagel

That's an idea too. And be sure you are feeding at LEAST 2 hours after the lights go out.

10. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

That is a good idea, I'll give it a try. ;)

11. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I did come to a realization that my Gray Tree frogs eat better when I remember to let the sun set (turn off the aquarium light) earlier. They are more lively and more likely to eat more -- it also makes for a much more interesting game of catch the frog when trying to get them buggers into their feeding bucket!!:rolleyes: But it's worth a try.

I have mixed reviews on the tongs -- my big one (Clyde) who has never had a problem eating, I found will eat a few more when I dangle a cricket in front of him with the tongs. The tiny one (Hawthorn) who was having trouble at first catching his own, doesn't like the tongs much. He might eat one off the tongs, but since I usually wait until he catches his own first - it's a no go on the tongs. (But he is growing...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.