This Disappears When Logged In

Help! Desert Spiny Lizard, Swollen Head

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by reptibuddy, Sep 6, 2010.

1. reptibuddy

reptibuddy New Member

Hello,

Recently, I rescued a Desert Spiny Lizard from a busy parking lot. It's been my intention to release it out in the desert part of town which I live in.
    In the meantime I put the lizard in a good size terrarium, with a heating pad, sand, 10.0 UVB light, branch to climb on, ect.. The lizard has eaten crickets I throw in the tank.

In less than a 2 week period the lizard started to develop some swelling on the right side of the face and head. The swelling gradually increased to where the lizards right
    eye is hardly open. The swelling has stopped,but not gone away. There has also been a decrease in the lizards activity. I'm concerned, I don't want to release this lizard into the wild in this condition. I'm thinking about taking the lizard to a vet.

I was wondering if anyone here has seen these kinds of symptoms, or know what could be wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, its been my intention to release this lizard in the desert area outside of town.
    5.jpg
    3.jpg
    6.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.jpg

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      108.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      89.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      60.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      96.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      95 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      127 KB
      Views:
  2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Poor little guy, it could very well be an abscess. I would think that a vet visit would be a good idea. It seems to be an infection that could potentially kill the little guy if left untreated.
    If let go into the wild like that he would probably not make it. He's wild so its your call, you can help him get better then release.

3. mld

How's the little guy doing today?

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, i would agree on vet too.

5. reptibuddy

reptibuddy New Member

During the night, the abcess has ruptured. We took her to the vet, where shes at now. Hoping for the best.

6. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

good job getting her to the vet, hopefully they can help her out so she can be released! :)

7. mld

Glad you were able to get her to the vet so quick. It looks like it was going to rupture, it was so swollen. Good luck, keep up the great work.

8. reptibuddy

reptibuddy New Member

The vet gave me some antibiotics, says to give her a warm 30 minute soaking twice a day. We're hoping she'll perk up more in the coming week, then we'll take her back in to get the abscess removed.

bath.jpg

Attached Files:

9. mld

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that she is getting some needed help. Good luck with the little girl.

10. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm just reading this, and just want to say I am hoping the antibiotics are doing their job and that the swelling continues to go down..with it being a wild caught, no telling at all what the cause could have been..
    Needless to say, it is very heart-warming to hear that you planned on releasing it back into the wild, and that you still took the time to take it to a vet for treatment..
    Wishing for the best.