This Disappears When Logged In

HELP! Corn Snake or Emoryi Rat Snake?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Murder Serpent, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murder Serpent

Murder Serpent Elite Member

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry, what's your question exactly? :confused:

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I think he wants help on identification of the snakes.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Looks like a cornsnake to me.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am going with an Emoryi.

6. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

yeah me too... possible hybrid tho. Where you get it from? locality is only defining character, they can really look the same... the dorsal blotches don't really have a strong black outline so thats why i say Emoryi

7. Murder Serpent

Murder Serpent Elite Member

Yeah my best guess is she is a rootbeer, Corn & Emoryi hybrid. I bought her from someone who didnt know either.

8. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

She's beautiful! :) I have a terrible time telling corns from rats from hybrids...

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Me to obviously, lol

10. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

It's good to know I'm not alone in my boat :)

11. Merlin

corns are ratsnakes, but not all ratsnakes are corns!:D

12. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Hard to say, If the breeder/seller didn't know than it would be hard to say theres really alot of variation in color in even "pure" corns (if any in the trade a really truly pure. Emoryi was once thought as a sub species of Guttaus so lots of breeding between the two were done). It looks as though it could be a Rootbeer though it could also be a Okeetee. Gene sample or breeding out the albino gene could be the only way to find out as the coloration will be very diffrent in the two species.

13. Merlin

While it is possible that it is a hybrid, it looks very different than what is termed "Okeetee".
    The Okeetee bears red saddles with heavy dark black border and a bright orange background color.

14. venus

venus Founding Member

Ok Merlin that was not nice :p Confuse us somemore why dontcha.

15. Merlin

LOL! One of the common names for a cornsnake is Red Ratsnake!

16. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

So it's a Racorn ?? As others stated,,corns have been bred to so many morphs that you really cannot tell. When our Okeetee's bred the offspring that did hatch were quite different from one another.

17. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

yeah in the end who really cares? Unless a person is working with pure locality animals all this nonsense is a waist of time lol.... haha maybe just because i am not a corn person ;)

18. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I'll agree with a yes/no on this subject. For somone just looking for a snake it doesn't make a diffrence. But for those who wish to breed it's important to perseve the species as it exists in nature. Thus stopping the need for wild caught animals.

During the 60's and 70's boas were bred in such numbers and with soo poorly that the localities were almost unknown in private collections. It wasn't untill the late 80's that with new wild caught stock and better breeding that boas as they are know from the wild were avalible as captive bred animals to collectors.

19. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

yeah that is why i said we should be working with pure locality in that way. i am all for natural pure locality breeding.When a snakes origin is unknown and breeding has been messed up in that line already...there is no diffrence. unless starting and keeping a pure lineage it is important.

20. CrotalusCo

CrotalusCo Member

Hard to tell with the quality of the pics, the last set look like the snake is in shed making it darker.

It is possible that it is a milksnake phase cornsnake

[​IMG]

but it may be hybrid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.