This Disappears When Logged In

HELP! Carpet Python Twitching Her Head

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by degroot17, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. degroot17

degroot17 Member

Has anyone ever experienced a Carpet Python shaking her head when curled up on a branch?

I have a 6 month old Jungle Carpet Python. She just ate her first f/t rat fuzzie a couple days ago. Before then I was feeding her f/t hopper mice. I feed her in a box so she didn't digest any shavings and the substrate I have her on in her cage is aspen bedding, although she is never on the ground. I have her in an arboreal cage, so she is always on her branches all curled up. I think she is going to shed soon because she is turning off yellow and a little bluish colour yet her eyes have not gone milky yet.

So she is eating fine and seems really active in her cage yet I have noticed her shaking her head. Anyone that has seen this before in carpets or might know why she is, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Welcome to HC. Can you let us know your temps/humidiy and cage size. Is it a slow shaking of the head or an actual rapid twitch ? We lost a BP years ago to IBD, and he started with a rapid twitch, never a slow movement.

3. degroot17

degroot17 Member

It’s an arboreal cage that is 3ft by 3ft by 4ft high. She is not even two feet yet and is probably as thick as my thumb. She was born June 2008 by a reputable breeder. It’s a custom made PVC cage. She is always on the bamboo branches, never on the ground or hiding, although is nippy when taking her off her branch. There’s an ambient heat temperature of 80F and under the basking spot is about 90F, at night it cools off to about 75F. The humidity is around 50% although I do spray 3 times a day, I find it dries up fast.

Thanks,

Mike

4. degroot17

degroot17 Member

Sorry I forgot to mention, it is a slow shake, just in her head and it last for about a second at a time and will do it for about 5 seconds when she sees me. It seems like when she is looking at me she is as still as a board, although yesterday I was almost positive she had not seen me yet and I saw her head shake. This has been happening for about the last 3-4 days.

5. degroot17

degroot17 Member

**Sorry when she sees me she shakes and when she hasn't noticed me she is as still as a board, although for yesterday when I didn't think she has seen me yet, she twitched her head.

6. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. I would keep an eye on her to see if it worsens. Unfortunately if it is IBD, which I do not think it is, there is nothing you can do. IBD is neurological. Your setup/temps are good.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do you have any other snakes?
    If it does turn out to be IBD it is extremely contagious to other boids.

8. degroot17

degroot17 Member

Thanks for the replies. I do have a year old Suriname red tail that seems to be in good health. Also to mention that the carpet doesn't coil its prey and will just strike at my hand and the rat, so I put the rat in an open box in the cage (the rat is already dead) and he will later go and eat it but will not coil. The breeder that had her, said that she ate live mice, so I would assume that she would have had to coil the mouse to kill it. I just thought I would mention that because that is also a symptom of "inclusion body disease". She is also blackish near the mouth but I think that is her colour and not mouth rot.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, at any rate, keep her away from your other boiids, and watch her closely.

Other thing to look for would be mites (your snake might be getting irritated if they are crawling around her eye, which is a favored spot of mites.)

We lost one BP years ago to some type of encephalitis - an infection and swelling of the brain that cause some neurological degeneration. He was head-twitchy.

It might be nothing, but it might be serious. Just be watchful and cautious. A vet trip might be a good idea if this persists. Make sure there is no cross-contamination between cages. If you go into one, wash yourself, and all tools/supplies/etc thoroughly so as not to transmit any potential diseases between your snakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.