This Disappears When Logged In

Help! Can't Keep Humidity Up in Snake Cage!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by PASnakeGal711, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PASnakeGal711

PASnakeGal711 New Member

Hi guys. I am new to the forum, but have had my ball python, Saleen, for two and a half years. He has been a great snake, eating regularly and shedding well. The last few times he has shed, though, he has not gotten it off in one piece, and I had to soak him in the tub in warm water until it sloughed off the rest of the way. I just bought a hygrometer, as I was upset about the poor shed and wanted to test- it read 20-30%. I have been misting the tank every day, sometimes even twice a day, but can't get the humidity to budge. Saleen is entering another shed cycle, so I have been soaking him in the tub every night, but he doesn't like it so I can only keep him in there for maybe five minutes or so. Is this going to be enough? Any ideas for how to keep the humidity up more? I have been misting, he has astroturf for bedding, and I have been putting moistened paper towels on the floor inside his hide box so he will lay on them and get the moisture from them, but I'm still worried.

2. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

You could buy a humidifier for the room he is in( that's what I have) or put a wet towel on the top of his tank if you have one of those metal tops. The wet towel is the cheapest and works well!

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Is the hydrometeor digital? And if it is, is just the sensor in the enclosure or the whole unit? If just the sensor is then you need to put the whole unit inside to get a reading of the humidity in the enclosure otherwise your just reading the humidity outside the enclosure (I know because that's what I did at first and Merlin set me straight:) but now that it's inside the enclosure I have no real problem keeping humidity up with just misting 1-2 times a day)

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

What is the top of the tank made out of?

5. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

I bought I fogging machine and it keeps the tank at around 70% humidity and I have a glass tank with a screen top so they work perfectly

What is your ball living in?

6. babypiggy

babypiggy Active Member

If you have a top that allows air to flow freely
    You can try taking plastic and cover half of it.

Usually that will help in keeping the humidity.

Are you also having the water dish on the warm side of the tank?

7. musicman

musicman Member

I agree with babypiggy. Maybe put a small piece of thin plastic over half of the tank and also keep the water on that side. I never had a humidity problem with my balls because of the country I live in, also keep misting and see if it helps.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Astroturf is going to make it difficlut to keep any level of humidity in the tank. It does nothing to hold moisture. You are going to need a different substrate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.