This Disappears When Logged In

Help Bao Laying on Side!!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by yellowtofu, Sep 4, 2013.

1. yellowtofu

yellowtofu New Member

Okay my very first post, signed up b/c can't find the answer in google.

So yesterday, I caught my boa laying on its side. Head was straight as was tail just the middle part she was showing her belly. At first I thought it was dead so I opened the tank and rub its side and it straighted right away. This morning same thing on its side, rubbed her a bit and she straightened.

some background

1) about 7 feet
    2) boaphile 6', 2' , 18"
    3) I kept the hot spot at 88 degrees (yes I know low) for a couple years with no problems, I bumped it up to 90 like all the website say and this is when he started laying on his side. I use an infared themometer to check temps
    4) I fed him 2 days before laying on side, and I changed the substrate. I use the coconut husk, and following the instructions and b/c its damp the tank is usually ultra humid for 3-4 days after a substarte changing.
    5) he is in shed, I didn't notice until I put the rat in his feeding tank and already had him out. He ate like he always does fast and normal - I do not handle him after feeding, the feeding tank fits in him house tank, and I pick the whole thing up put him in his tank and let him leave on his own
    6) she/he is not pregnant

Now I thinking about the changes this is what I think may have caused problem
    1) temp change
    2) too humid
    3) hes about to regurgate
    4) no problem just laying on her side

any help would be nice, let me know if i left out any relevant information.

2. yellowtofu

yellowtofu New Member

NvM he just finished sheding and stopped laying on its side. But this is the first time since I owned the snake that the sned did not come off in one piece. It came off in like 5-6 pieces. But all seems fine now.

3. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I'm so glad everything seems okay now. Poor baby. I know nothing about Boas.:(

4. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

The fact of the imperfect and split up ecdysis (shed) points to something not right, after having shed OK before, so why this bad shed now? Is the snake pooping regularly? What is the present humidity level? Have you checked for injury, scale rot or mites?

Any pictures would help, of the snake and enclosure too.

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

How is your snake now, after 2 months?