This Disappears When Logged In

Help- Bad Breath/Gas

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by Josh, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh

Josh Elite Member

Trina Is now 7.5 feet long and she ate a large rat 4 days ago and another medium one about two days ago cause I have been trying to increase her food intake and she is not defecating now and where the rat bump is feels like it is inflated with air and if I do any thing with her it is like she burps and her breath reeks almost to the point where I wanted to vomit when I smelled it I have no idea what it is I just realized this tonight I would bring her to the vet but no vet is open this late so any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated
    if you have any suggestions please post I am desperate I have been up all night observing her she seems fine but I know the feel of inflation is abnormal.

2. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

What are your temps and humidity?

3. Josh

Josh Elite Member

My temp right now being it is night time is 84, but usual night time is 75 and day time temp in basking spot is usually 90-92. and humidity stays around 45-50%.

4. savannahmon181

Sounds good I have never seen or heard of that happening unless they are kept in cold temps so they can't digest. You are going to have to take to the vet if it is having a hard time digesting its not to expensive at the vet they just kinda pump the stomach and give you a antibiotic to help with digestion.

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That is very strange, I can imagine the smell!! Please update us on the vet visit, I really want to know what could have caused this.:(

6. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Was the rat a fresh kill, or frozen thawed. If it was frozen, could it be that the rat was dead for too long before being frozen, and started to rot/decompose? If the rat was decomposing, that could account for the build-up of gases, or it was something that the rat ate before being frozen, and is now 'rearing it's ugly head'.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It's odd to think about snakes having bad breath/gas. I know the bald eagles at work have horrible fish-breath, but that's normal for them.

It sounds like a digestion issue. I believe reptiles also have a bacterial culture in their guts that assists with digestion (much like people do) and there may be something wrong with that?

I'm not sure if a soak would be of any help or not, I know it can fix an awful lot of things.

I agree with savannahmon181. I would only associate that with inadequate temps.

If frozen rat, was it thoroughly thawed?

8. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I tend to agree with WGNELSON about the age of the rat after it was killed. Another possibility is that it could have been out too long-- as in maybe it was thawing and heated for too long and started to decompose. Not a happy thought but it has happened to me once when I first started keeping snakes. The sounds coming from my burmese python would have put the most die-hard fraternity brother to shame!

I also agree with SAVANNAHMON181 and DRAGONESS with the temperatures but your temps sound spot on.

Good luck at the vet and please keep us posted.

9. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

I had a baby bunny the other day that was full of air, and it did not smell great... I decided to not feed It to either of my kids.

10. Josh

Josh Elite Member

The rat was a fresh kill; she doesn't eat frozen any more. I purchase live rats and kill them myself to feed her. The vet had said that she just had a large gas bouble. He did a little bit of massaging in the area and she let out this long almost burp but I can't even think of what to compare it to. He also said it isn't all that common but it does happen and now the inflation feeling is gone. I have looked all over the web and found nothing on this.

11. savannahmon181

Well if the inflation is gone I would think its okay. Is your snake acting normal? I guess you will know next feeding time or when it passes the snake and poops if it normal and every thing. Keep us posted!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would suspect the problem was your feeding schedule! You fed two feedings only two days apart? The original feeder had not had time to digest before you added another one on top of it. I would stick to weekly feedings. Feeding too frequently keeps their digestive system going at full throttle and really isn't good for them.

13. Josh

Josh Elite Member

that is what I thought aboout the feeding she was getting one xl rat a week then mooglebass had said she needs to be eating more like 3-4 large rats a week so I started doing that and she was fine for a couple weeks of it but I think I will be going to start back with the weekly feeding and see how that goes

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'd try to feed the large rats all at once. You may have to move up in prey to rabbits.

15. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I believe that "3-4 rats a week" meant 3-4 rats in one feeding night. Merlin is right, feeding too often is VERY unhealthy for snakes; I suspect that was the problem.

16. savannahmon181

Yeah they are right if you're going to feed her 3-4 large rats instead of one rabbit you need to do it all at the same time one right after the other

17. Josh

Josh Elite Member

ok I will make sure that is done thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.