This Disappears When Logged In

Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CocoChi313, Dec 31, 2014.

1. CocoChi313

CocoChi313 Member

Hi guys I'm hoping to find some people on here with great ideas and feedback! I have been less fortunate on other forums.
    I am currently reptile-less but have had a hypo tangerine Beardie, a butter Corn Snake, a Tremper Sunglow Leopard Gecko, a Mali Uromastyx, and an African Bullfrog in the past. I was recently given a 40 gal breeder tank and would like suggestions for what to put in it. I was thinking about a Veiled Chameleon but found out that they really need a mesh enclosure vs. a glass one so they are out So now I'm thinking about a pair of Madagascar Giant Day Geckos Please let me know what you all think and I am open to other suggestions as well! I do think I would prefer something diurnal, tropical, and aboreal. Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HerpCenter.
    Chams are very cool creatures. I've had Veileds in the past.

CocoChi313 likes this.
  3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Welcome to HC. I have heard some people say Chams absolutely require a mesh cage, and others say that mesh is the worst possible thing you could house a Cham in because it makes it difficult to maintain heat and humidity properly...

40 breeder isn't big enough for some of the larger Chams though. It is big enough for a Ball Python.

Are you set on lizards, or are snakes or other herps an option?

CocoChi313 likes this.
  4. CocoChi313

CocoChi313 Member

Well the husband would prefer no snakes, he was pretty sad when our corn died :( Plus, I've been bitten by 4 or 5 ball pythons so I'm not a huge fan and I know a lot of them can be finicky eaters and have seen quite a few go off of food and it was so hard to get them to start eating again and that was awful :( As far as Chams go, I've read the same and I'm so confused. It would seem impossible to keep heat and humidity up in such an open cage, and then they say an all glass with just a screen top will give them upper resp. infections so I don't know what to think :( I'm open to other herps though if you have suggestions :)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Chams are a bit touchy about things. And one thing they need is height. Veileds are recommended at 2ft square by 4 ft tall. They are arboreal so a shallow aquarium really isn't sufficient.

CocoChi313 likes this.
  6. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Welcome to herpcenter!!! :D I'm sure you will get great ideas on here, there are great people here. I for one can't think of anything at the moment for some reason, must be because it's early lol good luck

CocoChi313 likes this.
  7. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Welcome to herpcenter!

From what I understand re: chams is all-screen is no good because of the heat/humidity issues already covered, and aquariums are no good because they're stressed by seeing their reflections. Lately what I've seen recommended is glass terraria like Exo-Terras, and either covering the sides and/or lots of real/fake foliage to minimize the amount of reflection seen by the cham. But that's just what I've read/heard as I haven't taken the plunge into chams yet.

As for your 40BR tank I'd shoot for something terrestrial that maybe doesn't need a ton of humidity. Hmm any of our native swifts and spiny lizards, maybe collared lizard, smaller agams like red heads. Smaller skinks, maybe one of the smaller ameivas like a tiger or rainbow, greens probably get too big. Armadillo lizard?

CocoChi313 likes this.
  8. CocoChi313

CocoChi313 Member

Thank you all for your feedback! I will look into those suggestions CTU2fan :) I am now entertaining the idea of a Russian Tortoise as well. I saw one on instagram and fell in love, so I started researching them and found out they only get 5-6 inches. Most websites (I always look at multiple sites and cross reference to try to get the most accurate info) say a 40br is fine and I have a backyard, so in the spring I could make him/her a playpen for some outside fun! What do y'all think about that idea??

9. Merlin

With regard to the outside enclosure, make sure it is secure. There are a number of species which would take great delight in snatching a small turtle.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    CocoChi313 likes this.
  10. CocoChi313

CocoChi313 Member

Oh yeah! It would definitely be secure, we have a fence up already but it's not super high and we have some neighborhood dogs that run around from time to time so I already know I need to be careful with it. My husband is very handy with building things and I know he could make it very safe :)

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You'd want a roof, too, probably of more screen or fence, or chicken wire (high enough up the tortoise can't touch it) to keep climbing predators (Raccoons, opossums) out.

CocoChi313 likes this.
  12. CocoChi313

CocoChi313 Member

My thoughts exactly :)

13. Merlin

Not to mention birds of prey, crows hawks herons etc.

CocoChi313 likes this.
  14. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yes definitely, we lost a turtle I'd put outside for some sun only a month ago, not sure what got him.

If you go the tortoise route I'd definitely plan a pen for him. Not sure if it's just me, but when I've kept or observed land turtles (torts, box turtles) they seem to be very restless and want/need a ton of room relative to their size.

CocoChi313 likes this.
  15. CocoChi313

CocoChi313 Member

Yep, if go with a tortoise, we'll definitely be making him a large, secure, outdoor pen :) Hubby seems to really like the idea of a tortoise so that's probably what we will go with. It won't be for a little while though , we've got to save up the money for him and a few other things he'll need. We'll probably have his outdoor pen ready by the time we actually get him.

16. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Sounds good. It's funny, the boa I just got came with a 40BR so when his new cage is finished I'll also have a spare 40 with nothing to go in it. I'm thinking a group of smaller lizards like leopard geckos (I've never had a leo) or maybe emerald swifts.

CocoChi313 likes this.
  17. CocoChi313

CocoChi313 Member

Leos are cute :) The one I had was a butt to me though :( He loves his new owner, I saw him about a week after I sold him to him and he said he was so chill and calm and would watch TV with him! I couldn't hardly get him out of his terrarium without him screaming at me and trying to bite the crap out of me :( He's happy now though so that's all that matters :) I've never had Swifts, emerald or otherwise, but they are really pretty :)

18. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Yea I definitely want something that will be out and about and fun to watch, maybe watch it hunt etc. I was thinking the leo(s) might be fun it I set them up "naturalistic" but not sure since I've never kept them. Will they be out moving around, or do they like to hide? In the pet shops they seem to hide but they're small so who knows?

CocoChi313 likes this.
  19. CocoChi313

CocoChi313 Member

Mine always hid except to eat :( They are nocturnal by nature so to see them more during the day I'd put them somewhere kinda dark and do a blue, black, or red bulb. Definitely don't get any albinos, they are so pretty but they have really sensitive eyes and you'll never see them out during the day. I've heard that you can sort of train them to be up more during the day if you work with them. Like I said, mine was a butt so I didn't bother him lol but the new owner gets him out all the time with no trouble :p They are super fun to watch hunt because the wiggle their tails when they are about to strike and it's so cute!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015