This Disappears When Logged In

Hello:)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Wish, May 3, 2010.

1. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Welcome to the site. You may want to bump up the heat in your enclosure. The temps shouls be 80-85 degrees during the day and 78-80 degrees at night. You should also have a basking spot of 88-95 degrees. This come directly from Kevin McCurley's book- "The Complete Ball Python". The information can be found on pages 12 and 13. You also don't need to stress if your snake goes more than a week or so between feedings. They are well prepared to go MONTHS without eating and they will suffer little to no ill effects. Hope this helps. David McConley

2. Wish

Wish Guest

her temp is now at 90 sense i covered the top with foil i tried to feed her a small rat this morning sense she shed yesterday but she didnt want it she is acting hungry though i was going to try a mouse i read that they will sometimes get tired of rata and want mice and then go back to rats

3. Wish

Wish Guest

thanks for the welcome by the way :)

4. Wish

Wish Guest

stupid question so if shes 3 does that make her an adult

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not stupid at all and yes.
    And try feeding her in the evening. They are nocturnal and that is the time that they would come out to start hunting.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Wish, is it a digital hygrometer that you are using to measure the temps and humidity, as you say she has a problem shedding?

7. Wish

Wish Guest

No they kinda look like a scale. Is digital better?

8. Wish

Wish Guest

Oh ok. thanks that does seem to make more since.She seem more active at night.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The digital are VERY accurate, you may be getting a false reading, so if the humidity isn`t as high as you thought, that could well be why she has problems sheddding, the hygrometers are quite cheap to buy, I`m sure someone will come in and tell you where to get one.

10. Wish

Wish Guest

Thanks. I am actually going to my supplier today maybe he has some there i can buy. I will let you know if i buy them today how they are doing, and will update you on the humidity. Thanks again :) by the way what is the humidity suppose to be is 70% too much or to little

11. Merlin

Just go the garden section of the hardware stores. Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Even some Walmarts have them.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

70% humidity is fine, (if that`s an accurate reading, which at the moment I doubt), you can also let her soak in some luke warm water.
    Don`t buy a hygrometer from the petstore, it may be more expensive, and they are all pretty much the same. If I remember, I think someone mentioned they cost around 12 to 15 dollars?

13. Wish

Wish Guest

wow OK i wont buy it there i do know of a really good place online to get it from its called big apple herp and there really cheap you should check them out if you haven't already they have some really cool stuff there

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t think I can afford the shipping charges to England, but thanks anyway! ;)

15. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Just go to walmart. you can get a thermometer with a probe for $13 in the hardware section. They are indoor/outdoor thremometers. Just place the unit in the enclosure in one end and it will read the heat and humidity right there, then put the probe in the other end, to get the heat reading there. This will give you your warm and cool side. Put the probe under the basking light to get the basking temp.

Does your snake have a water dish to soak in?

16. Merlin

The online stores will be cheaper than the petstores but you have to remember that there will be shipping charges.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

in general, almost everything you can get at a pet shop, you can get much cheaper elsewhere.

You can scavenge your own decor from outside, just so long as you clean it thoroughly (bake it if it fits in your oven, scrub with bleach if it doesn't).

Most electrical stuff (lights, hygrometers, fixtures, etc) insulation, and caging materials can be gotten at hardware stores.

I buy my feeders frozen in bulk (then again, I feed 6 snakes) for a fraction of what the pet shop charges.

as to my male that fasted 7 months - he lost about 2.01 oz or 57g. Not much in an adult, and if not for weighing him, I would not have known.

3 is certainly an adult - I bred my female BP for the first time when she was 3.