This Disappears When Logged In

Hello:)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Wish, May 3, 2010.

1. Wish

Wish Guest

Hello everyone

2. missa6849

missa6849 Guest

Hello! Welcome to the Herp Center!

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hi Wish, and Welcome to the site.:) hope you enjoy it here!
    Michele

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Wish, it`s nice to have you here, do you have any photos of your Ball python? Thanks!

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Welcome to HC.

6. Wish

Wish Guest

thank you for welcoming me. my ball python is going through a rough time. i took her to a vet who does not see very many snakes but said he does know about them. so i took her in to be looked at to make sure she was in good health after buying her and he told me she had a retained eye cap then told me he removed it. well when she shed she hurt the eye that he removed the eye cap from. so i took her to another vet to be told that the eye cap was removed too early and caused permanent damage to her eye so she is now blind in one eye:( and has not been eating right sense. Any advice?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Report the first vet to the veterinary licensing board!

BPs do not hunt by sight but by heat and scent. Its possible that the snake is in pain.
    Tell us exactly and in detail how you are housing the snake. Maybe we can spot something.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

These animals hunt mainly by taste/scent not by eyesight, if the eye is permanently damaged, providing there`s no infection, it shouldn`t have much of an effect on her, it certainly won`t stop her from knowing there`s food around.
    Do you have any photos of the snake, also, can you give details of enclosure, temps and humidity, and are you trying to feed live or f/t or fresh killed prey. She may be a little stressed just now.

9. Wish

Wish Guest

I have her in a 36L 17W 18H glass terrarium temp right now is 78 and humidity is 70 she is shedding right now I feed her live small rats and they're not exactly live I know it sounds mean but I knock them out first :( I hate it but i don't have access to frozen rats my supplier only sells live rats and she dosen't come out of her hide since she lost the eye. There's no infection, the second vet took care of that for me but she does have two scales with scale rot and i'm treating that with betadine and neosporin. I was soaking her one day and noticed some blisters when I took her out and they went away but then her scales turned brown so i'm treating it right now

10. Wish

Wish Guest

she used to eat once every week now she will eat every two weeks if that

11. Wish

Wish Guest

i do have photos i posted them in my public profile in albums

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think the temps can come up, what are you using for heat? It`s better to stun the prey first, rats and other rodents can seriously hurt the snake, and it`s kinder to the prey, if you hit them a little harder, you could kill them outright. If you can cover the tank with some thin plywood or similar that would bring the temps up somewhat, can you do that, also, is it a solid top? She won`t be staying in the hide because of the eye, it may just be because she`s shedding.
    Edit: I`ve just seen the photos, she looks well fed, I don`t think you need to worry about her not eating just now, I notice the tank has a mesh top, if you can cover most of it with plexi glass or similar, it will help keep the heat and humidity up.

13. Wish

Wish Guest

it is a screen top and i have it covered with a damp towel and i use a under tank heat mat and a basking bulb 60 watts

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The damp towel will still allow much of the heat and humidity out, even foil will work.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The mesh Stefan mentioned is the screen. You are losing a lot of heat and humidity out the top. A peice of plywood with an opening cut out for the lamp will help you a lot!
    And you need a different thermometer. Those stick on tapes were designed with water filled aquariums in mind. In an air filled terrarium they measure the temperature of the glass wall, not the tank itself.
    Think touching a window in winter, the glass is much colder than the temperature in your home.
    Get a good digital with a remote probe at the hardware store.
    Once you confirm the actual temperature the heat may need to come up. They should have a basking spot of 90-95 degrees. Being too cool will make them sluggish and not want to eat.

16. Wish

Wish Guest

ok thanks so the temp might be whats making her not eat i will try that and i will let you know how it goes thanks for all your help i really appreciate it you've been a big help :) :)

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

keep us updated, you`re welcome to the advise! :)

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sometimes, a BP will also go off their feed if they are sick - the scale rot your are treating might be causing her to stop eating. As long as she isn't losing weight, the eating probably isn't much of an issue. If after all treatments and poking and prodding are done, and your temps have been bumped a bit, if she is still not eating then, I would begin to wonder. is she an adult? Once they are adult, they only really need a good meal every 10-14 days.

A well-fed ball can go months without food (Our male did not eat for almost 7 months this winter - that is normal for him. Some BP will just decide to fast, usually during the winter. It can really frustrate owners.)

19. Wish

Wish Guest

hello again i put the foil over the top of the cage the temp is now at 89 and she finished shedding today and the scales that were brown went away today with the shed and she may be fasting because it all started this winter with her not eating i thought it was because she lost the sight in one of her eyes and was stressed because that happened at the begining of winter did your ball python lose any weight when he fasted

20. Wish

Wish Guest

The guy at the pet store i got her from said she was 3 years old. I got her 9/2009, and i've been having problems getting her to shed good even with the humidity at 70% she just sheds in peices, and it dosnt all come off.