This Disappears When Logged In

Hello To All!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RaVeN666, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hi Raven and welcome to HerpCenter!
    I agree with Matt it looks like your snake is preparing to shed.
    Is the snake a wild caught or captive bred.
    Many times even with captives it takes a while for the snake to settle in to a new environment before it will feed. I would leave it alone and not handle till it feeds (yeah rough I know!) and preferably keep the enclosure in a quiet area of the home.

2. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

Yes dats me! I coudlnt keep this screen name here thanks to the evil administration!

Hows everyone doin tonight??

3. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

no the snake is not wild caught, I've had it for 2 weeks and sorry to say, couldnt keep my hands off it! ill try to leave it alone, its just that he pay too much attention to everything i do and really slithers towards me all the time, I just have to take him out! The water dish is large enough for em, he spends a lot of time in it in the evenings, or early mornings! He has a rough surface, but its not too much, just the rock with a plant growing out of it, and a fake tiger! Ill put a larger rock in there, I have one I use to mate my scorps!

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Welcome to Herpcenter.

5. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Welcome to HC!!

6. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Don't I know you from somewhere??? :D

7. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

ummm no! lmao!!! Hey Brian... my E. murinus just molted. :D

Im so happy, I can get it sexed now!

8. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

WELL GUYS!! Thanx for all your help. My snake shedded today! I feel so relieved!

Attached Files:

9. Demonic_Rage

Demonic_Rage Elite Member

Welcome to HC!! Hope you enjoy your stay here. By the way where did you happen to get the garter snake from? Always wanted one but they are native to Ohio and the shows I go to won't let any native species in.

10. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

I got him from the local pet store here! I dunno if you have the same pet stores in Ohio, this one is called PetLand! They dont really sell many snakes, only a few garters and kingsnakes!

11. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

yeay! He ate 6 rosie red minnows today! =0)

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Good deal! I guess it was the combination of the move and the shed. All he needed was a little time!

13. Demonic_Rage

Demonic_Rage Elite Member

Well glad to here the little guy ate for you.

14. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

Thank you all for your help! Thank god he is not going to sleep for 3 months!! I am very glad! ;D

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

That's great! Just a tip though, if you can, get him to eat guppies, mollies, danios, or other cheap fish. Minnows and goldfish have a lot more thiaminase than the others, which isn't good for your garter. Try adding worms and tadpoles if you can get any, he'll love those too.

16. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

I got access to frogs (lots of diff kinds) and tadpoles, also worms but It will be a longer trip! I think it will eat guppies with no problem. I have this calcium supplement called Jurassical, do you think that would be good for a garter? If not which one should I use to keep him healthy? Also I am more than willing to try to get a frozen mouse and rub fish on it! The garter is EXTREMELY a fish lover. I waved a fish around to lure him out and he came out in like 2 seconds! Im positive he would go for a fish smelling mouse! By the next feeding ill decide on something! Thanks.

17. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Welcome to Hc Raven, nice to have you, hope you enjoy your stay :D

I have a garter snake too, I had a few probs with feeding but I sorted it out, I feed my garter mice, I don't like to feed the fish and stuff, but thought I was going to have to resort to that, but thankfully I didn't, nice to see yours shedded, he looks awsome, :D

18. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

Thank you! I would love to feed mine mice. =0)

19. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

You got any bugs that'll eat pinkies? You could get a pinkie and see if your snake will eat it. If you're really lucky, maybe he'll eat mice without any scent masking. If he don't eat it, you could just feed the pink to a tarantula or something.

As for the frogs, where exactly would they be coming from? If they're wild caught, that'll work, but there's a high risk of parasite infestation. If they're from a store, just make sure you don't get somethng poisoness. Bullfrogs, green frogs, and leopard frogs are your best choices.

Calcium supplement usualy isn't as necessary with snakes since A: you can't really add it to fish, and B: there's bones in their prey, which contains most, if not all, of the calcium they need. There is a such thing as too much calcium too, so I'd skip the supplement.

20. RaVeN666

RaVeN666 Active Member

The frogs would be coming from a pet store and being in ny, they dont sell any poisonous ones! Only chubby frogs, and a few other small species! They also have tadpoles! I have scorps that would eat the pinky, My tarantula's still young! I was thinking of getting it a frozen one! I think a live pinky would hurt my snake! He's not all that big! I dont think I would risk it unless the mouse was exceptionally small, and I dont think I would find one around here! I will not add any supplement! I add it to my turtles crickets every now and than so I just though i'd ask! Thanx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.